delete connection

ecawilson

The following code gives me the "Run-time error '9': Subscript out of range" error on the last line, but only the first time it is run in a blank workbook.

Code:
mypath = [windows network path]<WINDOWS Path Network>
myfile = [text file name]<FILENAME extention without>
With Sheets(1).QueryTables.Add(Connection:="TEXT;" & mypath & myfile & ".txt", Destination:=Range("$A$1"))
.Name = myfile
.TextFileParseType = xlFixedWidth
.TextFileColumnDataTypes = Array(1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)
.TextFileFixedColumnWidths = Array(3, 19, 15, 5, 12)
.Refresh
End With
ThisWorkbook.Connections(myfile).Delete
The first time this is run, the text file is imported just fine, but the connection can't be deleted. As a matter of fact, in the debug window, "print activeworkbook.Connections.Count" returns 0. Then, if I choose the 'Data' tab, 'Connections' button, my connection appears, can be counted, and I can resume the code.

I haven't tried the Wait function, but when I let it sit for a minute after choosing 'Debug', there is no change. Yet, when quickly looking at the connections I can complete the code in less than 5 seconds.

The second and subsequent times it is run, it works just fine. I check to be sure, and there are no connections listed before I run it, but this time when I break before the 'delete' line, I get a count of 1 connection. Checking the connections window, I confirm that I see only 1 connection, and viewing this window does not change my connections count.

How can I delete the connection right after creating the table?

(the why: I inherited a report that has a few hundred connections in it, all to files that the end users don't have access to. Somehow, this mess has become business critical, but takes excel a long time to finally give up trying to refresh the connections. I just want to delete all the connections before the end user gets their hands on it.)

Windows XP, Excel 2007

Thanks much for the help.
Christopher

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Found a workaround, replacing
Code:
ThisWorkbook.Connections(myfile).Delete
with
Code:
Sheets(1).QueryTables(1).Delete
. This project will function fine like this, but in my next project I will want to reference the query table after I delete the connection, the naming of the query tables is confusing for me (can't figure out why and how it is replacing [and not appending] digits at the end of 'myfile', and not always sequentially), and also I can't figure out why my blank workbook outputs 4 as the response to print sheets(1).querytables.count.

Would still be greatful for help in understanding how to correctly delete the connection.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahmad123098

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back