Dependant tabular dropdown list with conditions

davidov

Hi all,

I'm coming back here because you guys helped me greatly in the past. I'm now running into an issue of which I can't find the solution online, I feel like I'm getting close but I'm missing something.

So I'm making a template for my colleagues for new article requests. One of the fields that has to be filled is the Product Hierarchy (PH). Unfortunately the PH exists out of 7*2 characters. So on the last 2 levels the list has like 15k options each, therefore I can't make it a nice horizontal table in which I can basicly refer to a next column or something.

So this is a simplified version but the data looks roughly as follow:
PHDescription
01Core
023rd Party
0101Normal
0102Sets
0103Marketing
0201Normal
0202Sets
010101Finished
010201Finished
010202Semi Finished
010301Finished
010303Tester
020101Finished
020102Semi Finished
020201Finished

So what do I want? A drop down of the first level I can make myself, it's easy and very limited. But then comes the problem, once the user selects the first level in another column I want the next drop down to be only the list that is a length of 4 (0101, 0102, 0103, 0201, 0202) but also in which the left 2 characters is the same as the 2 characteres chosen in the first level.

And of course the dropdown should only show the list of 6 characters long, in which the first 2+2 characters come from level 1 and level 2.
I've tried to play with an offset - match - countif formula, but if I can't put the conditions in I can't make it work.

And lastly, not sure if it makes it more difficult or not, while both the PH as the description comes into the template, the user should be choosing from the description, then I will use a xlookup to find the right PH value, and that value can then be used for the next level etc. :D

Would anyone be able to get me on the right path?

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Does this help ... Data Validation as it changes from level to level:

Attachments

• CaptDVCasc.JPG
    CaptDVCasc.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ipruravindra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back