Detecting whether there is a coloured cell within a row

bepeco

Hi there,

I hope you're good. Got a problem that has been bugging me for a while, and I wondered if anyone could help.

I have a template spreadsheet into which I post a set of data. Each column of the destination spreadsheet has conditional formatting applied to it to detect any issues with the data in that column (ie too many/too few characters, needs to be a number, if it is a duplicate, etc). If there is an issue it gets highlighted red.

I am handling 30+ columns and can have several thousand rows, so there is no way to do it manually. At the end of it, there may only be small % where there is an issue, and I need to be able to quickly find them all (while keeping the remainder of them available for manual checks) so that I can send them to be checked.

At the moment I add an additional 'Issues' column I add at the end and manually click into each filter, checking for the 'Filter: By Colour' option. If there is I select it, then add an indicator into all the cells of the Issues column. I then clear the filter and try the next column filter. After each process I now have a column I can use to filter to all issues. It can be pretty painstaking and I've tripped up a couple of times by not clearing a filter.

What I want to do is automatically identify all rows in which the conditional formatting has highlighted them.

Ideally I'd like a formula to detect if any of the cells in the row of data contain a coloured cell then mark the Issues column with an indicator.

Ideally a formula would do it but I can't find any that seem relevant. I've searched for this in Excel and people are recommending I create a user-defined function, which sounds complicated. I have plenty of experience with using formulas in Excel but have never needed to delve into Macros or functions before.

IDNameAddress 1Address 2City / CountyPostcodeContactIssue
1Joe's Shop57 Belvedere AvenueFinchleyLondonN3 5BQJoe Bloggs
2DGM Ltd *Carbon Technology ParkOssulton WayNorth LondonN10 5TGDaniel FiggsY
3Red Ads MediaStamford House, 7th floor, 81 The Mews, Salford, Greater Manchester, M12 4EF **Jordan PriceY
4DGM Ltd *54 Churchill RoadNottinghamEast MidlandsL31 4RLDaniel %26%26%26%2656429348924
Figgs*
Y

<tbody>
</tbody>

Crude example of data above. Items with asterix have an issue (DGM Ltd repeated, address too long, Required postcode, HTML detected) and would be highlighted by the conditional formatting. I want to be able to select lines 2, 3 & 4 by automatically adding Y to the issue column to to indicate an issue.

Oh, and the kicker - I'm using Excel for Mac 2011...

Can anyone help me?

Best regards

Ben

Excel Facts

Show numbers in thousands?
Use a custom number format of #,##0,K. Each comma after the final 0 will divide the displayed number by another thousand
Hi there,

I hope you're good. Got a problem that has been bugging me for a while, and I wondered if anyone could help.

I have a template spreadsheet into which I post a set of data. Each column of the destination spreadsheet has conditional formatting applied to it to detect any issues with the data in that column (ie too many/too few characters, needs to be a number, if it is a duplicate, etc). If there is an issue it gets highlighted red.

I am handling 30+ columns and can have several thousand rows, so there is no way to do it manually. At the end of it, there may only be small % where there is an issue, and I need to be able to quickly find them all (while keeping the remainder of them available for manual checks) so that I can send them to be checked.

At the moment I add an additional 'Issues' column I add at the end and manually click into each filter, checking for the 'Filter: By Colour' option. If there is I select it, then add an indicator into all the cells of the Issues column. I then clear the filter and try the next column filter. After each process I now have a column I can use to filter to all issues. It can be pretty painstaking and I've tripped up a couple of times by not clearing a filter.

What I want to do is automatically identify all rows in which the conditional formatting has highlighted them.

Ideally I'd like a formula to detect if any of the cells in the row of data contain a coloured cell then mark the Issues column with an indicator.

Ideally a formula would do it but I can't find any that seem relevant. I've searched for this in Excel and people are recommending I create a user-defined function, which sounds complicated. I have plenty of experience with using formulas in Excel but have never needed to delve into Macros or functions before.

ID
Name
Address 1
Address 2
City / County
Postcode
Contact
Issue
Joe's Shop
57 Belvedere Avenue
Finchley
London
N3 5BQ
Joe Bloggs
DGM Ltd *
Carbon Technology Park
Ossulton Way
North London
N10 5TG
Daniel Figgs
Y
Red Ads Media
Stamford House, 7th floor, 81 The Mews, Salford, Greater Manchester, M12 4EF *
Jordan Price
Y
DGM Ltd *
54 Churchill Road
Nottingham
East Midlands
L31 4RL
Daniel %26%26%26%2656429348924
Figgs*
Y

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

Crude example of data above. Items with asterix have an issue (DGM Ltd repeated, address too long, Required postcode, HTML detected) and would be highlighted by the conditional formatting. I want to be able to select lines 2, 3 & 4 by automatically adding Y to the issue column to to indicate an issue.

Oh, and the kicker - I'm using Excel for Mac 2011...

Can anyone help me?

Best regards

Ben

You cannot inquire against Conditional Format Interior Colors. Chip Pearson has a page on his web site that gives the details of how to do what you want to do. Click the link below:

Conditional Formatting Colors

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgp19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back