Digitally signing macros

stemar

Board Regular
I produce a number of automated forms in Excel, using VB. These are used by people of, err, well, let's just say, variable levels of computer literacy. This causes problems when they miss the "macros are disabled" warning, or are scared off by the warnings about dangerous content and I get irate messages about how my files don't work.

I'd like to set up a digital signature, probably using selfcert and get all logins on all PCs on our network set to Disable all macros except digitally signed macros and Automatically trust Stemar's macros, which I believe will solve the problems.

But

I'm not part of our IT department and their default position on anything like this is usually, "It can't be done." I have sponsors who are high enough that they can make it happen if I can prove "It can't be done" to be incorrect. So, here are my questions:

1. Will a home brew signature from selfcert work across a big network (2000+ PCs)?

2. Can access to this certificate be controlled so a list of no more than half a dozen users can access it to sign their projects?

3. IT currently does security & version updates remotely and in bulk. Would they be able to change settings in the Security Centre the same way?

Thanks for your help

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Are you using Office 2007 or later?

You could set-up a Trusted Location on each person's hard drive, then whenever they open a file in that folder, it would open and enable macros automatcially.

Upvote 0
1. Will a home brew signature from selfcert work across a big network (2000+ PCs)?
Doesn't really matter how many users there are. Each one will just have to go through the process of accepting the signature once for it to work on their computers.

2. Can access to this certificate be controlled so a list of no more than half a dozen users can access it to sign their projects?
A signature is specific to the individual PC that created it. That means that someone else using another computer will NOT be able to use your same signature to sign things. Each "creator" user would have their own signature, and each user would have to be anything signed by that user in order for that to work. So I don't think you can have a single "multi-user" signature. Each programmer would have his/her own.

3. IT currently does security & version updates remotely and in bulk. Would they be able to change settings in the Security Centre the same way?
I don't believe this shouldn't affect any accepted signatures.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back