Dir() only works sometimes

liz_sully

Hello,

I have a function that finds the corresponding file path and partial file name for my input, and then uses Dir() to generate the full, actual file name. Some of my file paths are C://myfilepath/YYYY/file, and some are C://myfilepath/YYYY/MM/file. I am using <YYYY> and <MM> labels, then replacing them with the specific dates needed.

Dir() is not working properly for files that have MM in their file paths (it works fine for files that only have YYYY). Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is, or what I can do to fix it? I have added watches to all my variables and they are populating fine up until the Dir() step.

Thanks in advance!

Rich (BB code):
Function GetFileName() As String

Dim strReportName As String
    Dim intEndFileList As Integer
    Dim n As Integer
    Dim strFilePath As String
    Dim strFileStart As String
    Dim strFileName As String

strReportName = wsForm.Range("F4").Value

intEndFileList = wsFilePath.UsedRange.Rows.Count

'For the chosen report, find the folder path and beginning of file name
        For n = 2 To intEndFileList
        If wsFilePath.Cells(n, 1).Value = strReportName Then
            strFilePath = wsFilePath.Cells(n, 2).Value
            strFileStart = wsFilePath.Cells(n, 3).Value

End If

Next n

strFilePath = Replace(strFilePath, "<YYYY>", Year(wsForm.Calendar1.Value))
        strFilePath = Replace(strFilePath, "<MM>", Format(Month(wsForm.Calendar1.Value), "00"))
        strFileStart = Replace(strFileStart, "<YYYY>", Year(wsForm.Calendar1.Value))
        strFileStart = Replace(strFileStart, "<MM>", Format(Month(wsForm.Calendar1.Value), "00"))

strFileName = Dir(strFilePath & strFileStart & "*.csv")

GetFileName = strFilePath & strFileName

End Function

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Hello,

I have a function that finds the corresponding file path and partial file name for my input, and then uses Dir() to generate the full, actual file name. Some of my file paths are C://myfilepath/YYYY/file, and some are C://myfilepath/YYYY/MM/file. I am using <yyyy> and <mm> labels, then replacing them with the specific dates needed.

Dir() is not working properly for files that have MM in their file paths (it works fine for files that only have YYYY). Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is, or what I can do to fix it? I have added watches to all my variables and they are populating fine up until the Dir() step.

Thanks in advance!

Rich (BB code):
Function GetFileName() As String

Dim strReportName As String
    Dim intEndFileList As Integer
    Dim n As Integer
    Dim strFilePath As String
    Dim strFileStart As String
    Dim strFileName As String

strReportName = wsForm.Range("F4").Value

intEndFileList = wsFilePath.UsedRange.Rows.Count

'For the chosen report, find the folder path and beginning of file name
        For n = 2 To intEndFileList
        If wsFilePath.Cells(n, 1).Value = strReportName Then
            strFilePath = wsFilePath.Cells(n, 2).Value
            strFileStart = wsFilePath.Cells(n, 3).Value

End If

Next n

strFilePath = Replace(strFilePath, "<yyyy>", Year(wsForm.Calendar1.Value))
        strFilePath = Replace(strFilePath, "<mm>", Format(Month(wsForm.Calendar1.Value), "00"))
        strFileStart = Replace(strFileStart, "<yyyy>", Year(wsForm.Calendar1.Value))
        strFileStart = Replace(strFileStart, "<mm>", Format(Month(wsForm.Calendar1.Value), "00"))

strFileName = Dir(strFilePath & strFileStart & "*.csv")

GetFileName = strFilePath & strFileName

End Function

Not positive this will work, but it won't hurt to try. Change this statement
Code:
Format(Month(wsForm.Calendar1.Value), "00"))
To this
Code:
Format(wsForm.Calendar1.Value, "mm")

I think the problem is a data type problem in the way Excel sees the month value.
</mm></yyyy></mm></yyyy></mm></yyyy>

Upvote 0
Thanks for your input. I tried your suggestion, but still having the same issue. :(

On the other hand, I do think this code looks cleaner, so thank you for that!

Upvote 0
Update: I think I have an idea as to why it isn't working. For the files it's having issues with, there are multiple files in that folder with the same starting string (and different versioning numbers at the end).

Does anyone have any ideas on how to choose the latest file, maybe based on timestamps? The issue is that the full file name includes the time the file was created (ie, File_YYYYMM_hh_mm) and I cannot predict what the exact hh and mm values will be.

Upvote 0
Update: I think I have an idea as to why it isn't working. For the files it's having issues with, there are multiple files in that folder with the same starting string (and different versioning numbers at the end).

Does anyone have any ideas on how to choose the latest file, maybe based on timestamps? The issue is that the full file name includes the time the file was created (ie, File_YYYYMM_hh_mm) and I cannot predict what the exact hh and mm values will be.

You might be better off just using 'Application.GetOpenFilename' and choosing from the dialog box.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SammMcCandless

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back