display groups in Relationships display

bkelly

Environment: Windows 7- 64 bit, Access 2010.
Concept: Relationship diagram.

After setting up the diagram to show tbl_Issues and its direct connects, another area of that display is setup to show tbl_Activity_&_Comments. It has a many to one relationship with tbl_Issues (shown in the first group) and a many to one with tbl_Activity_Type.

In the second grouping of the Relationship diagram, the relationship between Activity (shortened name) and Type is shown. I am unable to get the diagram to show the relationship between Activity and Issues. This would be the second display of that particular relationship.

Is there some way to get a relationship to be displayed multiple times in the Relationships display?

Hello xenou,
You are correct and I see an error I made. Your post 7 does do what I wanted and I missed that. How did you do that? When I show the tables a second time, the relationship does not show up in the second pair.

What I did was then go ahead and add the relationship so it shows. Is there where you get a message saying the relationship already exists? That didn't happen for me (Access 2007).
You're right about the broken links if delete my files or let my site go down.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
I think I have it figured out. Access 2010 will show a one to one twice. It will even create a one to one when there is already a many to one between the same fields. But when I attempt to edit the one to one and check the box Enforce Referential Integrity, the error message is that it cannot create this relationship and enforce referential integrity.

I don't know about Access 2007, but this just looks like one of those things that it is the way it is.
Thanks for your time.

Upvote 0
Okay. I'm seeing some more buggy behavior in Access 2010 relationship window (a second copy of a table shows up repeatedly despite my attempts to delete it). That program still makes me a little nervous - I use 2003 at work and 2007 at home. However, don't think ill of me if I plug for Visio again. I consider that part of my standard "Office" suite - Excel, Access, Outlook, and Visio (well, PowerPoint too because I can't avoid it). There isn't any other diagramming software like it that I can find for Windows, and it's relatively inexpensive considering how valuable it is for creating flowcharts, database diagrams, workflows, and so on. I design my serious databases with Visio diagrams before I even touch Access. There is a little bit of a learning curve (it took me a few years to get used to Visio - and I'm still learning (last month used the mindmap feature in Visio for the first time - works fairly well).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hardey6ix

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back