Display (Not split) contents of a list across 2 rows for better visibility

ConfusedMario

Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
I have tried to find the answer on forums and the net but search engines just bring me to articles explaining how to split the contents of a list into multiple columns; however this is not what I am trying to do. What I want to do is simple. I just want to display may list across two columns so I can see them better instead of having to scroll down. Basically I have a list of genres and I want to limit the amount of rows which the list is displayed in and once that limit is reached, the list starts on the adjacent column. Is this possible?

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
1. Turn on ‘Wrap Text’
2. Adjust column width to suit. To adjust column width simply drag the right hand side of the column header.
Alternative
2. Merge the relevant cells - though that can cause frustration later if you change or want to copy just a column of data.

HTH

Upvote 0
Perhaps I was not clear. I know how to do the above, but I want to do is split the contents of a list that is in one column into 2 columns, so I can see all the terms in the two columns at once.

Upvote 0
I think you need to post an example of you data and what you want it to look like. Without that it’s impossible to suggest a solution.

Upvote 0
Perhaps I was not clear. I know how to do the above, but I want to do is split the contents of a list that is in one column into 2 columns, so I can see all the terms in the two columns at once.
Try:

=TEXTSPLIT(A2," ") change " " (blank) with your delimiter.

Upvote 0
Textsplit does not exist in xl2021, only 365. ;)

Upvote 0
Hi, if I've understood correctly, assuming your long list is in the range A2:A1000 and the maximum number of rows you want to display per column is 40, then you could try something this to spread the results across as many columns as is necessary:

Rich (BB code):
=LET(MR,40,FX,INDEX(A2:A1000,TRANSPOSE(SEQUENCE(ROUNDUP(COUNTA(A2:A1000)/MR,0),MR))),IF(FX="","",FX))

Upvote 0
Try:

=TRANSPOSE(FILTERXML("<b><a>"&SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","</a><a>")&"</a></b>","//a"))

Upvote 0
@Tom.Jones I think you have misunderstood what the OP is asking for. He/She does not want to split a list/cell.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterms

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back