Document Management and Consolidation

bgcamroux

Hello all,

This is my first post here, but I have operated on a similar forum for other purposes. Now my needs have turned to Excel and Word. I am using MS Office 2010 at the office and at home. Not all of the office computers have the same - some have MS Office 2007 or possibly earlier.

I work in the environmental reclamation and remediation of oil and gas wellsites. This job inevitably involves the production of numerous complex reports, spanning across several documents. The unfortunate part of this is that the same information must be entered multiple times, often by different people, which leads to inconsistency and confusion.

My goal is to create a single Excel file that takes the input of all this repeated data. Other Word and Excel documents shall access this file to populate various particular parts of the report. This shall prevent inaccurate search-and-replace across multiple files.

For example, the well location appears many times in the main report document alone, as well as in about 5-10 additional Excel files. I am not sure, but think this will involve some level of VBA scripting.

I have been searching on this stuff for a bit, and will continue to, but thought I'd bring it up here. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Links to tutorials? I greatly appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,

Brad

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
I hope you have some programming backround. If you do just start google'ing each problem as it comes up. Example: automated update for excel sheet or autorefresh data for excel sheet. Usually you can find a post or some tutorial for each search. I started my little project and got most of my answers this way. If i cant find something after 3 searches i usually come to here. If you dont know programing start some tutorials on youtube i would say

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, Neffatize. I do have some programming background. I've worked in PERL, C/C++, and Pascal to name a few. I've never used VBA, but it can't be too hard to learn when you have a bit of a background....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sravya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back