Doesn't anyone record a macro to learn anymore?

I think it has to do with some (or all) of:
  • People don't know how to use the recorder, or are intimidated by it
  • People are too lazy to figure it out themselves when they have their own army of code monkeys.
  • Since we live in a world where immediate results are becoming more commonplace (thus creating impatience), a person could code it themselves and get the desired result, or they could post and have an answer back within minutes. (These posters are commonly identified when they post a question, and within 10 minutes, ask if anyone knows the answer. I tend to ignore these posters.)
Also, yes, we do see a vast recurring number of the same questions over and over (multiple-condition sum/count/lookup is probably the most asked), but people are either too lazy to search or they can't figure out/too lazy to figure out how to tailor the formulas to fit their needs.

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
I opened the VBA editor once, got scared and closed it again thinking I accidentally opened the back end of Excel and could do some damage.

A while later and I saw a spreadsheet with a button on it that inserted a new column and added the date. I asked the guy how he did it and he told me about this magic macro recorder so I went ahead and recorded macros to do all sorts of things. To my distress I found it wasn't as clever as I thought and generally the macros only worked once for the particular sheet I was working on at the time. It took me a long time to get any further than that.

I don't think I'll ever be that great at VBA but I've got enough knowledge now to either write pretty much anything I want to do from scratch or adapt code that I find elsewhere. It's quite satisfying and pretty good for job security so am glad I spent the time that I did. If others don't want to it's up to them (other than people wanting their homework doing because they skip class :mad:)

Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by #NAME? View Post
I do!
You didn't record any macros
just Formula Piff?
So what do you do when you have problem that doesn't solve with Formula?

:ROFLMAO:

I guess Aladin's anther one of those formula Piffers who can't do anything. :rolleyes:

You didn't record any macros
just Formula Piff?
So what do you do when you have problem that doesn't solve with Formula?
I'll admit that I don't know EVERYTHING about everything. I just know what I know and it works for me! :)

So, when I need help I know where to look to find the answer. :biggrin:

The one thing that still gets my goat is people wanting their homework done for them and I have politely made that point to the culprits as well. I'll offer advice, but I ain't doing it for them ;)
I also sometimes feel that way, but then..

1. If you answer questions in the forum you probably are doing homework. I reckon most students will ensure their question does not look like homework.

2. The large proportion of the questions that are not homework are most likely work-related for the OP. Is doing work for somebody who is being paid to do it, and quite possibly claiming they did do it, while getting you to do it for nothing any better than doing somebody's homework?

1. If you answer questions in the forum you probably are doing homework. I reckon most students will ensure their question does not look like homework.

2. The large proportion of the questions that are not homework are most likely work-related for the OP. Is doing work for somebody who is being paid to do it, and quite possibly claiming they did do it, while getting you to do it for nothing any better than doing somebody's homework?

Both good points Peter, I don't mind offering a helping hand to anyone... heck I've begged for assistance on work issues before (but always given credit to the people who have helped me). :biggrin:

I just don't like people saying do this for me, because if it is part of their work and they don't learn how from asking, then they may have problems further down the line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back