Don't you guys get tired of Excel?

Benzadeus

Ok, maybe the thread title is bait. I like Excel, but there are guys with 20k+ posts here. How can someone don't get bored!
Don't you guys get tired of Excel? What gives you motivation to go on with Excel in the forum?

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Ok, maybe the thread title is bait. I like Excel, but there are guys with 20k+ posts here. How can someone don't get bored!
Don't you guys get tired of Excel? What gives you motivation to go on with Excel in the forum?
Really, you could say that about anything. For teachers who have taught for 30 years. Don't they get tired of teaching?

For me (who has over 50,000 posts), it is the desire to learn and to help others (I also like problem solving and puzzles).
There is just so much to Excel and VBA, there is always something new to learn. I am still learning new things. It is cool to watch how others solve the same problem differently.
Some 50,000 posts and 18 years later, I am still learning new things about Excel.

I guess it boils down to, I really enjoy working in Excel. People seldom grow tired of doing things they enjoy!

Really, you could say that about anything. For teachers who have taught for 30 years. Don't they get tired of teaching?

For me (who has over 50,000 posts), it is the desire to learn and to help others (I also like problem solving and puzzles).
There is just so much to Excel and VBA, there is always something new to learn. I am still learning new things. It is cool to watch how others solve the same problem differently.
Some 50,000 posts and 18 years later, I am still learning new things about Excel.

I guess it boils down to, I really enjoy working in Excel. People seldom grow tired of doing things they enjoy!

I could agree with you, but the fact is that back in 2006 when I began to study Excel/Formulas like a maniac, I went to VBA, became Excel MVP. Then, I studied databases. Then, DAX/Power Query/PBI. Then Office Web addins. The fact is that the tools available in web development are so powerful that I can't help to like Excel as much as I liked in the past.

I could agree with you, but the fact is that back in 2006 when I began to study Excel/Formulas like a maniac, I went to VBA, became Excel MVP. Then, I studied databases. Then, DAX/Power Query/PBI. Then Office Web addins. The fact is that the tools available in web development are so powerful that I can't help to like Excel as much as I liked in the past.
To each their own, I suppose.
Since becoming proficient in Excel, I have also become proficient in Access, SQL, and JavaScript. but I still like Excel!
;)

I think with Excel, what keeps people engaged for so long, is the fact that it is seemingly endless. There's always more to learn!
Another aspect is the community. I have formed a handful of really good relationships here. I am in a life-relationship with someone from this board. Another chap has been a friend for over a decade. Heck he's even employed me.

I don't participate as much any more, but I pop past frequently just to see how things are going. My interests have shifted in the past few years, but if you speak about me to anybody who knows me, chances are they will mention Excel. It's more than an application - it is something I will have a life-long passion for, and a community that helped me build a career.

I think Joe4 said it best when he said "...it is the desire to learn and to help others (I also like problem solving and puzzles)"... that pretty much covers it for me as well.

For me excel has many functionalities with VBA that interact with other forms of code/applications that it is seemingly endless. I can use excel with just about anything and learn an entirely new way to do the same things, but faster and more productive for the specific task. You can move a column with copy/paste or you could send everything into arrays/dictionary objects and do the same task in a fraction of the time. Its stuff like that that breathes life into excel over and over.

If you are PASSIONATE about something, you would not be BORED in entire life.

Back in the 1940s my mom's favorite class was bookkeeping. Perhaps I have a genetic predisposition to love putting numbers in little rectangles?

All humor aside, I marvel that we all have different interests and while I can easily solve most (certainly not all) Excel problems, I have trouble with Scrabble and word/letter puzzles. It's a good thing, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uzair Tahir Khan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back