Double Vertical Lookup

Tennisguuy

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I can do a regular vertical lookup but not quite sure how to do a double vertical lookup. I need to look up the state and then the county within my table to find the correct deductible. The lookup value for the state is in cell A12 and the lookup value for the county is in cell A13. The data is in cell K12:N500. The state is in column K, location is in column L, county column M and deductible column N

A lookup function would ignore any duplicate rows below the first it has found. I would have thought you'd want to include these ones. If not, then I don't see why the topmost entry should be the one included, more likely to have the bottom-most row since this would likely be the latest entry.

But I completely agree with the data type issue. However, we are dealing with a number.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=IFERROR(INDEX($N$2:$N$100,MATCH(A13,IF($K$2:$K$100=A12,$M$2:$M$10),0)),0)

You have to use ctrl+shift+enter for array formulas. If you don't it won't work properly.

Do not get seduced by functions that sum instead of retrieve.

You should not fear control+shift+enter either for a sizeable class of problems requires array-processing formulas.

Since you are asking for:

Just enter:

=IFERROR(INDEX($N$2:$N$100,MATCH(A13,INDEX(IF($K$2:$K$100=A12,$M$2:$M$10),0,1),0)),0)

Recall that this still an array-processing formula.

Upvote 0
thanks that did work. However not sure how to correct my other problem. For the counties I copied them from the internet. They counties showed on the internet as an hyper link but when I copied them to excel I selected them and right click and paste special. However we I use the formula the return value for the deductible is zero. Therefore I retyped over the first county and enter the county manually and the formula work. Is there anyway I can change the other counties without physically typing over them because there are almost 2,000 counties I copied from the internet.

Upvote 0
That's not an option when I right click. I didn't use the hyperlink value but instead copied them and selected paste value. I thought that would work because it didn't show them as a hyperlink

Upvote 0
Aladin I tried your revision and that worked too but still having a problem with the counties that I copied from the internet. If I retype them the formulas work but otherwise the formula just returns a 0.

Upvote 0
It involves the county column. Since there were so many counties over 1,800 I searched the internet to see if I could find a site that listed the counties and I did but they list them with a hyperlink. I also found another website that didn't list them as a hyper link and when I copied them from that website too and pasted them in the spreadsheet the formula doesn't see to recognize the value. I don't get a value error or anything it just returns a zero for the deductible. However if I manually type over that county the formula returns the correct deductible value. It does it for all the counties in the list.

Upvote 0
It involves the county column. Since there were so many counties over 1,800 I searched the internet to see if I could find a site that listed the counties and I did but they list them with a hyperlink. I also found another website that didn't list them as a hyper link and when I copied them from that website too and pasted them in the spreadsheet the formula doesn't see to recognize the value. I don't get a value error or anything it just returns a zero for the deductible. However if I manually type over that county the formula returns the correct deductible value. It does it for all the counties in the list.

Would you post same examples from the county column?

Upvote 0
For example for the state of Alabama I have the counties of Baldwin, barbour

County
baldwin
*Barbour
*Bibb
Blout
*Bullock
*Butler
*Calhoun
*Chambers
*Cherokee
*Chilton
*Choctaw

The problem isn't with what I have listed. If I type over the counties that I copied from the internet , the formula will work meaning it will show the correct deductible. Excel is just not recognizing what I copied and pasted into excel from the internet. Not sure if it because I copied them from a website page to use in the formula. I tried format column as text and still nothing but soon as I manually type over them it works.

If you want I can send it to you but not sure how to do that on the site.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoToLeep

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back