drag down serial number/ incremental wise upto thousands of cells

goodstudent

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

Kindly see below screenshot...I need to drag this down serial number/ incremental wise upto thousand of cells. The N/A cell will keep filling with 1 number increasing. If I keep holding and pulling down it will take me a long time. The last cell in the thousands of cell to fill up has been filled with N/A as well.
Now how to fill this quickly without having to pull down for so long...

Thanks a lot in advance for your guidance & support!

1708547413182.png

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
try this:
Excel Formula:
="A"&TEXT(SEQUENCE(100000),"000000")

Upvote 0
What is the formula in the cell. Does it match exactly as it is below?

Do not type it in. Copy and paste.

It is working for me. And you have the SEQUENCE function with 365. So, it should work for you.

Book1
A
1A000001
2A000002
3A000003
4A000004
5A000005
6A000006
7A000007
8A000008
9A000009
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A1:A100000A1="A"&TEXT(SEQUENCE(100000),"000000")
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
Hi. Thanks for the response. Yes, I am copy & pasting (see below screenshot) in the first N/A cell and I am still getting this error.
Is this error because I am using in continental Europe way and we use , (comma) instead of . (dot) for decimal that the Anglo-saxons use...and we have similar other differences in excel compared to Anglo-saxon.

I had this error here of a symbol: If duplicate in a cell then keep 1st row and move remaining row to new sheet/ excel and putting a semicolon helped me.
So may be I have to put ome another symbol in the formula that you have proposed, please?
="A"&TEXT(SEQUENCE(100000),"000000")

1708552119134.png

Attachments

• 1708552099183.png
    1708552099183.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0
I am unsure.

Is the cell formatted as "General"?

to go step by step just start with this.
Excel Formula:
="A"&Sequence(100000)

If you get
A1
A2
A10

then you know the function works for you.

then format the numeric portion of the formula to whatever format you use to pad numbers with leading zeros.

Upvote 0
Note: No, I cannot start the formula from the beginning (1st or 2nd row of excel onwards). In the beginning the D column had numbers like 123456, 789315, etc. the numbers with A prefix were added somewhere in the in-between rows. So only from A971579 (excluded) onwards I can go with the formula that you propose.

I tried using a semi colon ; instead of , and it took the formula but there is an error called SPILL. See below screenshot.

1708552678482.png

Upvote 0
i think there is also a kepboard shortcut that will allow me to drag this serial number wise to the last filled cell with 'N/A' instantly...it happened once or twice to me...but I don't know which keys made that happen.
P.S.: and yes, these cells are fomatted as GENERAL.

Upvote 0
The SPILL Means that the array formula is trying to write to a cell that already has something in it.
Highlight everything from the cell with SPILL in it down, and clear or delete Then the array formula will continue.

It is great you found the semi-color argument separator!

I don't know what you mean by the prefix getting added somewhere in the process.
But, if you just want to fill down begining at your last current number, assuming A971579, then in the cell below that
the syntax for your formula should be
Excel Formula:
="A"&Text(SEQUENCE(971580);"000000")

Upvote 0
Hello. Thanks for the response. I don't understand this: "Highlight everything from the cell with SPILL in it down, and clear or delete Then the array formula will continue."

Notwithstanding the above, I tried the formula you gave and I removed all the 'N/A' from the cells in which I want the serial numbers to be dragged down. Still the SPILL error is there. See below screenshot:
Note: Please note that I want to drag this down serial number wise A971580, A971581, A971582, ... etc. for at least another 110K cells.

1708554310260.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back