nburaq

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I have two sheets, at first sheet I have cell values for the drop down list and 2nd sheet inlcudes drop down list. However, I could not manage to solve my problem via data validation. Could you help me to solve this problem?

Sheet1:
Column A Column B(drop down list based on value column A)
169-00
213-00
011-00
056-00

Sheet 2: (PS: I want to list all values starting with 169 at drop down list)
169-00
LIFELINE
169-01TRUCK UNLOADER
169-02MACHINE
213-00PACKING

Thanks in advance for your help!

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Hi James,
Thanks for your reply and help. However, I have checked this before but this is not the solution for my problem because data validation list only allows you to list one column if you try to choose to columns to be listed in data validation it gives "The list source must be a delimited list or a reference to single row or column" error. I don't know maybe solution is VBA?

Upvote 0
Hi again,

Sorry I did not understand you wanted to created a multi-column data validation list ...

For that matter, you could Insert a Form ComboBox to have the flexibility of the number of columns ...

But you have a plan to go further into coding ... then you should, indeed, use an ActiveX Combobox and use VBA

Hope this clarifies

Upvote 0
I tried to solve my problem using a helper column using in column E at sheet 2 for concatenated result and column H2 for filtered result to be used for validation list.

=FILTER($E$2:$E$100;--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(LEFT(Sheet1!$A2;3);$E$2:$E$100));"Not Found")

But this time, my dropdown list everytime shows whatever the value of cell A2 IN Sheet1 (in this case it is 169-00) so in sheet1 dropdown list should change with cell reference. If A2 is 169-02 then I should be able to see the filtered results at dropdown list.

I hope you guys can solve this problem. Thanks again

Upvote 0
Hi Again,
I am still struggling with a proper solution. Just to give an idea I attached a screenshot. In screenshot, if N2 is 060-00 then it will list possible matches at data validation list based on what cell value N is. The list to be used on data validation list is in sheet 2
1679407125039.png

Thanks again and I hope this time I will find a solution with the help of you guys!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back