Drop down list? Or something else

Mandy_

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Hi,
I'm creating a meal planner and recipe scaling document, and to change the amount of ingredients based on the scale of a recipe.

Attached is a square of what I am working on.

I have a drop down list in M5 and Q5 (the top item is __Select Item__ and then the list of items to choose from).

Is there a way (without running code) that I can scale a recipe?

When the drop down list in M5 is "__Select Item" I'd like all cells in the range M6:P8 to appear white and blank.
Otherwise I'd like to be able to select p8 and choose a scale (perhaps choose from a drop down list? or type a numeral/fraction).

What would be a good set up?

Where (and how) would you suggest putting the scale number (cell) - so that the recipe ingredient calculation works out the ingredients based on the value in the cell (P8).

I've tried a drop down box, but then when I put M5 back to Select Item, then the cell value in P8 doesn't remove. I've tried conditional formatting too.

I'd appreciate any help,

Thank you for your time,

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-03 at 12.05.12 am.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-03 at 12.05.12 am.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 22

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Hi,
I'm creating a meal planner and recipe scaling document, and to change the amount of ingredients based on the scale of a recipe.

Attached is a square of what I am working on.

I have a drop down list in M5 and Q5 (the top item is __Select Item__ and then the list of items to choose from).

Is there a way (without running code) that I can scale a recipe?

When the drop down list in M5 is "__Select Item" I'd like all cells in the range M6:P8 to appear white and blank.
Otherwise I'd like to be able to select p8 and choose a scale (perhaps choose from a drop down list? or type a numeral/fraction).

What would be a good set up?

Where (and how) would you suggest putting the scale number (cell) - so that the recipe ingredient calculation works out the ingredients based on the value in the cell (P8).

I've tried a drop down box, but then when I put M5 back to Select Item, then the cell value in P8 doesn't remove. I've tried conditional formatting too.

I'd appreciate any help,

Thank you for your time,
Hi Mandy

You could have a scroll bar with the minimum value set to zero.

You can then set zero values to not display for the worksheet in File - Options - Advanced

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back