Dump array onto worksheet

krice1974

Hi all. I searched help and I'm sure this has been answered hundreds of times here but I can't seem to make the given solutions apply. Anyway.

I'd like to "dump" an array onto a worksheet. It's called MyArray, it's varying in length, 7 "columns" wide, and I know the uppermost left cell I'd like to dump to.

Many thanks in advance...

Kevin

GTO, I know that had to be the most garbled mess if you're not in my head (you're probably better off btw ;)

It shows where I am with arrays. I have a mini stock market app that downloads all kinds of useful data, and I have big plans for it, but I've hit the proverbial wall with arrays, and need them to tie it all together.

My sanity is in your hands, my friend.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
If it's easier, you don't have to rewrite all my code... a layman's explanation of arrays specific to my purpose would be worlds of help. Again in a nutshell:

I want to copy data to an array, out of a oddly formatted web query.
I can get to continuous ranges with a loop, those are the data I wish to copy.
The data ranges vary in length but are all 7 columns wide.
After loading a range to an array, I want to continue the loop that looks for the next "block" of continuous data, coping/appending this to the same array.

Thanks again...

Upvote 0
If it's easier, you don't have to rewrite all my code... a layman's explanation of arrays specific to my purpose would be worlds of help. Again in a nutshell:

After loading a range to an array, I want to continue the loop that looks for the next "block" of continuous data, coping/appending this to the same array.

Thanks again...

It is certainly not the most garbled mess by a long shot, and the comments are helpful. Please be patient, as sinuses/head about to bust.

If you're still online, a couple of questions/comments to help get it thru my thick head...

I believe I understand that you want to load an array 7 cols by unk rows... and that there are discontiguous ranges of these "tables" - so you want to be able to find the next range and loop it into the array.*

Now to "draw the blonde guy a picture", please correct any of the above I have incorrect, and tell me if there's things we can count on or not. For example:

Lets say there's five ranges. Lets say the first one starts at A1 and ends at G122 (I realize the row may be 132, 147, or whatever, the next day).

Now, when we look for the next range, where are we looking? For instance, will it always be farther down (higher row numbers), or might there be a range that starts in L22 or some other place off to the side so-to-speak.

What is between the ranges? Can we count on truly empty cells (no weird unprintable characters)?

And I think yo already stated this, but to make sure - once we run into a blank cell (row) in one range, we can look for "company" to be in the upper/left cell of the next range, right?

Thank you, and sorry its taking me a bit to "see" your sheet.

Mark

*- ACK! I forgot. After making one big array, we're planting it some place on the other sheet...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mark, no reason to apologize when being so generous with your time. Sure. OK, so:

Now, when we look for the next range, where are we looking? For instance, will it always be farther down (higher row numbers), or might there be a range that starts in L22 or some other place off to the side so-to-speak.
The desired ranges will be in the same columns always (starting in column1), and we're looping down the worksheet, so they'll always be lower, but to a varying degree based on the other range sizes as you noted.

What is between the ranges? Can we count on truly empty cells (no weird unprintable characters)?
I wrote a bastardized version of this macro that copy/ pastes the ranges but is clumsy. So in my experience of using the loop to find the ranges, the cells are free of strange characters from what I can see. There are some blank cells and some not blank.

<!---------- Tacoda Tag end ----------><!-- ###### CenterContent start ###### --><!-- +++ Fragment Ad468x60Top begin +++ --><noscript></noscript><noscript></noscript><noscript></noscript><!-- Ad468x60Top begin --><!-- Ad468x60Top end -->
<!-- +++ Fragment Ad468x60Top end +++ --><!-- +++ Fragment Ad728x90Top begin +++ --><!-- Ad728x90Top begin --><!-- Ad728x90Top end -->
<!-- +++ Fragment Ad728x90Top end +++ --><!-- ###### BannerContainer start ###### --><!-- ###### topBanner start ###### --><!-- ###### topBanner end ###### --><!-- +++ Fragment NavigationTop begin --><!-- NavigationTop begin -->
<!-- NavigationTop end --><!-- +++ Fragment NavigationTop end --><!-- ###### BannerContainer end ###### --><!-- ##### wrapper start ##### --><!-- ###### lnavcontainer start ###### --><!-- +++ Fragment Search begin +++ --><!-- Search begin --><!-- Search end -->
<!-- +++ Fragment Search end +++ --><!-- +++ Fragment NavigationGoldIndex begin +++ --><!-- NavigationGoldIndex begin --><!-- NavigationGoldIndex end -->
<!-- +++ Fragment NavigationGoldIndex end +++ --><!-- ##### lcolAd start ##### --><!-- +++ Fragment AdsLeftColumn begin +++ --><!-- AdsLeftColumn begin --><!-- AdsLeftColumn end -->
<!-- +++ Fragment AdsLeftColumn end +++ --><!-- ##### lcolAd end ##### --><!-- ###### lnavcontainer end ###### --><!-- ###### ContentWrapper start ###### --><!-- ###### ContentColumn start ###### --><!-- +++ Fragment Ad405x15Top begin +++ --><!-- Ad405x15Top begin --><!-- Ad405x15Top end -->
<!-- +++ Fragment Ad405x15Top end +++--><!-- +++ Fragment PageHeader begin +++--><!-- PageHeader begin --><!-- PageHeader end -->
<!-- +++ Fragment PageHeader end +++--><!-- +++ Fragment Content start +++ --><!---------- Tacoda Tag end ----------><!-- ###### CenterContent start ###### --><!-- +++ Fragment Ad468x60Top begin +++ --><noscript></noscript><noscript></noscript><noscript></noscript><!-- Ad468x60Top begin --><!-- Ad468x60Top end -->
<!-- +++ Fragment Ad468x60Top end +++ --><!-- +++ Fragment Ad728x90Top begin +++ --><!-- Ad728x90Top begin --><!-- Ad728x90Top end -->
<!-- +++ Fragment Ad728x90Top end +++ --><!-- ###### BannerContainer start ###### --><!-- ###### topBanner start ###### --><!-- ###### topBanner end ###### --><!-- +++ Fragment NavigationTop begin --><!-- NavigationTop begin -->
<!-- NavigationTop end --><!-- +++ Fragment NavigationTop end --><!-- ###### BannerContainer end ###### --><!-- ##### wrapper start ##### --><!-- ###### lnavcontainer start ###### --><!-- +++ Fragment Search begin +++ --><!-- Search begin --><!-- Search end -->
<!-- +++ Fragment Search end +++ --><!-- +++ Fragment NavigationGoldIndex begin +++ --><!-- NavigationGoldIndex begin --><!-- NavigationGoldIndex end -->
<!-- +++ Fragment NavigationGoldIndex end +++ --><!-- ##### lcolAd start ##### --><!-- +++ Fragment AdsLeftColumn begin +++ --><!-- AdsLeftColumn begin --><!-- AdsLeftColumn end -->
<!-- +++ Fragment AdsLeftColumn end +++ --><!-- ##### lcolAd end ##### --><!-- ###### lnavcontainer end ###### --><!-- ###### ContentWrapper start ###### --><!-- ###### ContentColumn start ###### --><!-- +++ Fragment Ad405x15Top begin +++ --><!-- Ad405x15Top begin --><!-- Ad405x15Top end -->
<!-- +++ Fragment Ad405x15Top end +++--><!-- +++ Fragment PageHeader begin +++--><!-- PageHeader begin --><!-- PageHeader end -->
<!-- +++ Fragment PageHeader end +++--><!-- +++ Fragment Content start +++ --><!---------- Tacoda Tag end ----------><!-- ###### CenterContent start ###### --><!-- +++ Fragment Ad468x60Top begin +++ --><noscript></noscript><noscript></noscript><noscript></noscript><!-- Ad468x60Top begin --><!-- Ad468x60Top end -->
And I think yo already stated this, but to make sure - once we run into a blank cell (row) in one range, we can look for "company" to be in the upper/left cell of the next range, right?
Once running through a desired range, a blank cell is the end of that range. Typically four cells down (with both text and blanks in between) the word "company" is the header (right on top of) the next range. This is the left column we're doing all this work on.

Thank you, and sorry its taking me a bit to "see" your sheet.

No problemo. Thank you. I think I need this excel jeanie app.

Upvote 0

Thanks again...

Hi again Krice,

Well I don't want to take you off path, but as I am understanding your attempts thus far, here are what appear to be initial "issues" to me.

I took your comment to mean that you'd rather learn rather than have it re-written straight out, so lets play with it a bit.

Code:
Sub ex()
    'Abbreviate worksheet name.
    Set UGQ = Worksheets("BriefingAnalystUpsDwnsQuery")
    Set UG = Worksheets("BriefingAnalystUpsDwns")

'**Get final row of worksheet.//These refer to the same row//**
    UGQFinalRow = UGQ.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
    UGQFinalRowFixed = UGQ.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row

For i = 1 To UGQFinalRow 'Outer loop that loops through the entire worksheet looking for the word "company."

'Once it finds "company", it checks for "upgrades, downgrades, and coverage initiated."
        If UGQ.Cells(i, 1).Value = "Company" Then
             '***Now lets say we found the first instance of "Company" in cell A20.  
             '***Since "Company" is in the upper/left corner of the range, why are 
              '***we going back up to Cell A17 ?        
            Select Case UGQ.Cells((i - 3), 1).Value
                Case "Upgrades"
                    RatingType = "Upgrades"
                Case "Downgrades"
                    RatingType = "Downgrades"
                Case "Coverage Initiated"
                    RatingType = "Initiated"
                Case "Coverage Reit/Price Tgt Changed*"
                    RatingType = "TargetChange"
            End Select

Upvote 0
Right on about the double assignment. Long day with this, gets hard to see the forest from the trees, if that applies...

We're looking up from the word "company" to find a value that gets added to its own column, kind of modifying the range in a sense. Here's a snippet of the worksheet:

"Upgrades" This is the value I want to keep to add that isn't in the range (yet) but that I put in my refined table.

blank space
skip

"sort alphabetically" skip

"
Company" data of interest immediately below
"China Petroleum"

So in my new refined table that I dump the query onto, the last column will say "Upgrades" for each record that was in that section just below it. As the loop goes to the next range, it gets "downgrades" and the range below it, then "coverage initiated" and so on...

Upvote 0
Right on about the double assignment. Long day with this, gets hard to see the forest from the trees, if that applies...

We're looking up from the word "company" to find a value that gets added to its own column, kind of modifying the range in a sense. Here's a snippet of the worksheet:

"Upgrades" This is the value I want to keep to add that isn't in the range (yet) but that I put in my refined table.

blank space skip

"sort alphabetically" skip

"
Company" data of interest immediately below
"China Petroleum"

So in my new refined table that I dump the query onto, the last column will say "Upgrades" for each record that was in that section just below it. As the loop goes to the next range, it gets "downgrades" and the range below it, then "coverage initiated" and so on...

Yikes! Could you please show us a picture of a couple of "before" ranges and an "after"?

Or - if you belong to 4shared.com or some other posting site, a copy of an example workbook.

I am sorry, but I just am not getting a clear picture. I am happy to be of what help I can be, but without a clear picture I think we are spinning our wheels a bit.

Hope you can do one of the above and I'm sure you'll get a solution :)

Mark

Upvote 0
I need to get that jeanie, I know it. It's too much to convey by description. It might be much shorter anyway to just give a quick syntax lowdown "quick and dirty" of the array processes I need, posted earlier?? *fingers crossed

declaring an array of a known width, unknown length, varying data types to fill it.

loop through a continuous range, filling the array.

resume filling it after other code is executed.

I ask this knowing there are generalizations and this is theoretical of course...

Upvote 0
OK, trying excel jeanie now. :)

Before:

Excel Workbook
ABCDE
59Ratings Systems
60Corrections
61Updated 12-Mar-09 14:04 ET
62Upgrades
64Sort alphabetically | Sort by brokers
65CompanyTickerBrokerage FirmRatings ChangePrice Target
66Men's WearhouseMWWedbush MorganSell Hold$10
67IntelINTCAmTech ResearchNeutral Buy$13 $17
68Men's WearhouseMWStifel NicolausHold Buy$14
69China Petroleum (Sinopec)SNPUBSNeutral Buy
70SomaneticsSMTSSun Trust Rbsn HumphreyReduce Neutral
71Johnson ControlsJCIDeutsche SecuritiesHold Buy$12
72HexcelHXLDeutsche SecuritiesHold Buy$12 $10
73AbiomedABMDJefferies & CoUnderperform Hold$8 $7
75Downgrades
77Sort alphabetically | Sort by brokers
78CompanyTickerBrokerage FirmRatings ChangePrice Target
79Bronco DrillingBRNCBMO Capital MarketsMarket Perform Underperform
80NASDAQNDAQFox PittOutperform In Line
81ExelonEXCBMO Capital MarketsOutperform Market Perform
82GenentechDNALazard Capital MktsBuy Hold
83LDK SolarLDKSoleilBuy Sell$3
84MetabolixMBLXPiper JaffrayBuy Neutral
85LDK SolarLDKPiper JaffrayNeutral Sell
86XOMA LimitedXOMAMerriman Curhan FordBuy Neutral
87Carrizo Oil & GasCRZOJefferies & CoBuy Hold$37 $9.50
88Parallel PetroleumPLLLJefferies & CoBuy Hold$12 $1
90Coverage Initiated
92Sort alphabetically | Sort by brokers
93CompanyTickerBrokerage FirmRatings ChangePrice Target
94Javelin PharmaceuticJAVWedbush MorganBuy$6
95MAKO SurgicalMAKOLadenburg ThalmannBuy$10
96Cabela'sCABFeltl & Co.Hold$9
97ThoratecTHORWedbush MorganBuy$39
98Allos TherapeuticsALTHFTN Equity CapitalNeutral
99Acorda TherapeuticsACORFTN Equity CapitalBuy
100United TherapeuticsUTHRFTN Equity CapitalNeutral
101Auxilium PharmaAUXLFTN Equity CapitalBuy
102Biomarin PharmBMRNFTN Equity CapitalBuy
103Alexion PharmaALXNFTN Equity CapitalBuy
104VisaVSusquehanna FinancialPositive
105Whitney HoldingWTNYStifel NicolausHold
106WMS IndustriesWMSBrean MurrayHold
107Bally TechnologiesBYIBrean MurrayBuy$24
108EV3EVVVBMO Capital MarketsMarket Perform
109Progenics PharmPGNXFTN Equity CapitalNeutral
110AMAG PharmaAMAGFTN Equity CapitalBuy
111Mechel SteelMTLJP MorganNeutral
112MedicisMRXPiper JaffraySell
113AllerganAGNPiper JaffrayBuy
114SequenomSQNMJMP SecuritiesMkt Outperform$25
115MedAssetsMDASThinkEquityBuy$17
116Endo PharmENDPPiper JaffrayNeutral
117AlteraALTRPiper JaffrayBuy
118Charles SchwabSCHWCitigroupBuy$16
119TD AmeritradeAMTDCitigroupHold$13
120E*TRADEETFCCitigroupSell$0.25
121American Capital AgencyAGNCKeefe BruyetteMkt Perform$17.50
122Zenith National InsuranceZNTSun Trust Rbsn HumphreyBuy$28
123Data DomainDDUPMerriman Curhan FordNeutral
125Coverage Reit/Price Tgt Changed*
127Sort alphabetically | Sort by brokers
128CompanyTickerBrokerage FirmRatings ChangePrice Target
129HasbroHASWedbush MorganHold$28 $24
130Bronco DrillingBRNCJefferies & CoUnderperform$4 $2
131Apollo GroupAPOLArgusBuy$87
BriefingAnalystUpsDwnsQuery

After:

Excel Workbook
ABCDEF
156Men's WearhouseMWWedbush MorganSell Hold$10Upgrades
157IntelINTCAmTech ResearchNeutral Buy$13 $17Upgrades
158Men's WearhouseMWStifel NicolausHold Buy$14Upgrades
159China Petroleum (Sinopec)SNPUBSNeutral BuyUpgrades
160SomaneticsSMTSSun Trust Rbsn HumphreyReduce NeutralUpgrades
161Johnson ControlsJCIDeutsche SecuritiesHold Buy$12Upgrades
162HexcelHXLDeutsche SecuritiesHold Buy$12 $10Upgrades
163AbiomedABMDJefferies & CoUnderperform Hold$8 $7Upgrades
164Bronco DrillingBRNCBMO Capital MarketsMarket Perform UnderperformDowngrades
165NASDAQNDAQFox PittOutperform In LineDowngrades
166ExelonEXCBMO Capital MarketsOutperform Market PerformDowngrades
167GenentechDNALazard Capital MktsBuy HoldDowngrades
168LDK SolarLDKSoleilBuy Sell$3Downgrades
169MetabolixMBLXPiper JaffrayBuy NeutralDowngrades
170LDK SolarLDKPiper JaffrayNeutral SellDowngrades
171XOMA LimitedXOMAMerriman Curhan FordBuy NeutralDowngrades
172Carrizo Oil & GasCRZOJefferies & CoBuy Hold$37 $9.50Downgrades
173Parallel PetroleumPLLLJefferies & CoBuy Hold$12 $1Downgrades
174Javelin PharmaceuticJAVWedbush MorganBuy$6Initiated
175MAKO SurgicalMAKOLadenburg ThalmannBuy$10Initiated
176Cabela'sCABFeltl & Co.Hold$9Initiated
177ThoratecTHORWedbush MorganBuy$39Initiated
178Allos TherapeuticsALTHFTN Equity CapitalNeutralInitiated
179Acorda TherapeuticsACORFTN Equity CapitalBuyInitiated
180United TherapeuticsUTHRFTN Equity CapitalNeutralInitiated
BriefingAnalystUpsDwnsQuery

(both are partial, not the entire range, but all relevant areas are represented)

Thanks so much.

Upvote 0
REference the pic, thanks :)

It might be much shorter anyway to just give a quick syntax lowdown "quick and dirty" of the array processes I need, posted earlier?? *fingers crossed

declaring an array of a known width, unknown length, varying data types to fill it.

I ask this knowing there are generalizations and this is theoretical of course...

I probably should have responded to that earlier. I am certainly not a "expert" coder, and leastwise to match my abilities, I of course would have to have my head around something before attempting to explain it.

Very generically, its pretty easy to build an array dynamically, but one of the issues I thought I spotted in the current code was that at points it seems to be getting referred to as a single dimension array, and at other places a two dimensional array. I could be wrong, as stated, I keep getting pulled away.

In short however -

ReDim Preserve DataArray(ArrayLength)

will not work if its a two dimensional array. Neither will:

DataArray(i + j, 1) = UGQ.Cells(i + j, 2).Value 'Symbol load into array

as you are attempting to increase the upperbound of the first dimension, and you can only increase/resize the last dimension.

Thus, I was thinking that building it "backwards" or transposed might be a way to go. It's later where you are at, so let me see if I can come up with something understandable as well as reliable. Will try and post back later tonight (semi-doubtful) or tomorrow. While there's plenty of folks here with much more knowledge than yours truly and you might already have some great answers before I can get it done, I will post back if there's not already a better solution (than I am able to produce).

Mark

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smiqer

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back