Duplicate Selections in a drop-down list / How to select correct one

MrHydrant1857

All,

i have a table of contacts with the following column names: Contact Name, Company, City, State, Phone, Email. my main page has a drop-down list that has all the Contact Names. when i select a name from the drop down i use vlookup to input the company, city, state, phone, and email into their appropriate cells.. the issue i am running into is that when i have a duplicate name, but different city, state, etc., that excel is only picking up on the first selection in the table. i am looking for a way to get around this and make sure i can have duplicate names but select the correct one. see attached images.

Attachments

• Screenshot (81).png
    Screenshot (81).png
    10.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot (82).png
    Screenshot (82).png
    8.9 KB · Views: 11

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
It would not be possible to identify the correct entry from duplicates in the way that you want, a unique identifier would be required.

The only possible 'workaround' would be to add a space to the end of the second "John Smith " in order to make it different. If you have a third John Smith then add 2 spaces to that one and so on.

Upvote 0
Another option, conceptually similar to what has been suggested by @jasonb75 , above, is that you create a validation list that includes:
-RowNumber + Contact + City (or Company)
Then use this in the dropdown list, and use the RowNumber for getting the detailed information

Bye

Upvote 0
It would not be possible to identify the correct entry from duplicates in the way that you want, a unique identifier would be required.

The only possible 'workaround' would be to add a space to the end of the second "John Smith " in order to make it different. If you have a third John Smith then add 2 spaces to that one and so on.

is there a way to give each duplicate a specific number such as "(1),(2), or (3)" without it showing in the cell once selected? or am i asking to much lol

Upvote 0
Whatever you use, it would need to be a unique identifier in the cell (which would be visible).

@Anthony47 perhaps you could be so kind as to elaborate on your suggestion with a visual example.

Upvote 0
For example

The formula used in G2:
Rich (BB code):
=IF(A2<>"",ROW(A2)&" # "&A2&" # "&B2,"")

The list in column G is used in your drop-down list (is it a listbox?)
After the selection, you estract the character(s) before the first "#" and use it as the "Index" in the sorce table

MrX_JASONB75_01.JPG

Bye

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnur

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back