Dynamic Hyperlink

MrDB4Excel

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
In the Xl2bb shown below, you see in cell A3 the value A21 which is based on cell C21.
The issue I have is when a listed program changes row number in sheet ProgramLocInfo then I need cell A3’s value to reflect that in the hyperlink.
When a program changes row number in sheet ProgramLocInfo then obviously based upon the formulas in the relevant cells between B21 to D33 the values in the range A3:A15 change as well, but not the hyperlinks.
Is there a formula that will do this?
As you can see in the Xl2bb insert I have tried some formulas that you see in B17, B18, & B19. These did not work. I also tried a multitude of other suggestions found via my web search for an answer and I was unable to get anywhere.
p.s. I did not try one I just found on MrExcel: =IF(ISREF(INDIRECT("'"&A1&"'!A1")),HYPERLINK("#"&A1&"!A1",A1),"") because not sure how I would implement it for my specific need.
p.p.s. I also was not sure about this one: Dynamic excel hyperlink
Also, the Excel sheet I am working on is already an xlsm file so I wouldn’t be opposed to VBA, but would much rather stick with formulas.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D3D3=ProgramLocInfo!G21
D4D4=ProgramLocInfo!G24
D5:D6D5=ProgramLocInfo!G29
D7:D8D7=ProgramLocInfo!G32
D9D9=ProgramLocInfo!G35
D10:D11D10=ProgramLocInfo!G38
A3:A15A3=C21
D13D13=ProgramLocInfo!G90
D14D14=ProgramLocInfo!G109
D15D15=ProgramLocInfo!G123
A21:A33A21=D21
B21:B33B21=CELL("address",INDEX(ProgramLocInfo!$A$1:$A$141,MATCH('Programs_1-3'!B3,ProgramLocInfo!$A$1:$A$141,0)))
C21:C33C21=SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A21,"$",""),"$","")
D21:D33D21=RIGHT(B21, LEN(B21)-FIND("!",B21))

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Hi MrDB4Excel,

I'm struggling to follow what you want but suspect A3 should hyperlink to ProgramLocInfo cell A21, but if the "calibre 64bit - E-book management" is moved to another row then the hyperlink should update.

It seems you've almost got it with B17 so does this do what you ask?

MrDB4Excel.xlsx
ABC
1Rebuild/ Reinstall: Y = Yes, N = No, M = Maybe
2File Mgmt. Programs
3Clickcalibre 64bit - E-book management1
4ClickCloneSpy 3.42 - 64 bit2
5#N/ADexplorer3
Programs_1-3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A3:A5A3=HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",INDEX(ProgramLocInfo!$A$1:$A$141,MATCH('Programs_1-3'!B3,ProgramLocInfo!$A$1:$A$141,0))),"Click")

Upvote 0
Bravo Toadstool!!! Perfect, absolute. Works like a charm. You made my day.
Thank you so much.

This may be a big reach, but is it possible that instead of the word "Click" that the cell indicates the cell on sheet ProgramLocInfo where the indicated program occurs, even when the program indicated is moved to another row?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bravo Toadstool!!! Perfect, absolute. Works like a charm. You made my day.
Thank you so much.

This may be a big reach, but is it possible that instead of the word "Click" that the cell indicates the cell on sheet ProgramLocInfo where the indicated program occurs, even when the program indicated is moved to another row?
Previous reply continued... from This may be a big reach,...

In other words, for example in cell A3 the phrase "Click" is looking at the content of cell C21 and always returns the result in C21 if the program is moved to another location.
So for example, if "calibre 64bit - E-book management" is moved on sheet ProgramLocInfo to row 24 then on sheet "Programs_1-3" cell C21 would report A24 thus causing cell A3 on sheet "Programs_1-3" to report A24.

Upvote 0
In cell C21 try:
Excel Formula:
=ADDRESS(MATCH('Programs_1-3'!B3,ProgramLocInfo!$A$1:$A$141,0),1,4,1)

Upvote 0
=ADDRESS(MATCH('Programs_1-3'!B3,ProgramLocInfo!$A$1:$A$141,0),1,4,1) works equally well as =SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(A21,"$",""),"$",""); cell C21's result changes when the program "calibre 64bit - E-book management" is moved on sheet ProgramLocInfo to another row.
However; A3 still remains with the same result: "Click"

Upvote 0
I'm not sure of the purpose from row 21 on Programs_1-3. I would suggest it can be done using the MATCH formula.

MrDB4Excel2.xlsx
ABCD
1Rebuild/ Reinstall: Y = Yes, N = No, M = Maybe
2File Mgmt. Programs1
3A21calibre 64bit - E-book management10
4A24CloneSpy 3.42 - 64 bit20
5#N/ADexplorer3#N/A
Programs_1-3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A3:A5A3=HYPERLINK("#"&CELL("address",INDEX(ProgramLocInfo!$A$1:$A$141,MATCH('Programs_1-3'!B3,ProgramLocInfo!$A$1:$A$141,0))),ADDRESS(MATCH('Programs_1-3'!B3,ProgramLocInfo!$A$1:$A$141,0),1,4,1))
D3:D5D3=INDEX(ProgramLocInfo!G:G,MATCH('Programs_1-3'!B3,ProgramLocInfo!$A$1:$A$141,0))

Upvote 0
Thanks again Toadstool, your formula for A3 does the trick. The formula for D3 isn't needed, I tried it and it doesn't do anything for the purpose that I can perceive.
Column D is only a checklist for me as I determine if a program is to be reinstalled during my PC rebuild process.
Rebuild/ Reinstall: Y = Yes, N = No, M = Maybe

Upvote 0
You're welcome.

I was guessing that column D in Program_1-3 might be one of many columns being pulled from ProgramLocInfo, in which case the INDEX and MATCH would be more efficient than using the volatile INDIRECT and the column A cell address.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
p17tootie

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back