dynamic rows in lookup_array

a_brave_new_analyst

Hi,

I have been looking around but not found an answer yet, if you have a link, pls post it. If not, here is the problem:

I am looking to use "dynamic rows in lookup_array" of a match function.
The MATCH have the following arguments (lookup_value,lookup_array,match_type).

The "lookup_array"-argument can standard be defined as A1:C10, but I want to be able to have a "dynamic" array.

The coloumn(s) used should be static but I want the row(s) to be able to change.
I have no problem to find out what row nr I want to use but I can not relate it to a lookup_array.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
I am looking to use "dynamic rows in lookup_array" of a match function.
The MATCH have the following arguments (lookup_value,lookup_array,match_type).
The "lookup_array"-argument can standard be defined as A1:C10, but I want to be able to have a "dynamic" array.

Hi
Welcome to the board

The lookup array of the Match() function can only have either 1 row or 1 column. A1:C10 is not a valid lookup array for Match().

Maybe you ca post a simple working example?

- 3 or 4 rows with data should be enough
- what you want to do
- the logic, the formula you tried and the expected result

Upvote 0
Hi again, sorry for not returning sooner. I have solved the problem with an index function. I post a better description of my problem and the solution I found (I am sure there is a more elegant solution out there). In my master sheet I have two columns. In column A I have dates and in column B I want to load values from a separate sheet that comes from a report printed from other software.

Problem is that report does not stick to one format. Values to be copied into column B in master sheet can be printed in different rows in report, date is however static. However is wanted values always printed in last column.

I need a function that 1 match the date from master sheet column A with date column in report and load the last value of each row (i.e. last column with values). Function I use for this purpose looks like this:

=IF(A5="",0,INDEX('report-sheet'!$A$1:$AA$36,MATCH(A5,'report sheet'!$B$1:$B$36,0),MAX(MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,report sheet!$A$6:$AA$6),MATCH(REPT("z",255),'report sheet'!$A$6:$AA$6),0)))

If no date in A5 master sheet load zero
Index sheet area $A$1:$AA$36 here will I find my values. Area is larger then I need (better safe than sorry)
Match date in cell A5 (master sheet) with report sheet !$B$1:$B$36
Max function load last value of row nr chosen my date match function.

I hope that this can help someone.

Thanks PGC, hope to hear from you agian.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichealRed

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back