Dynamically updating 3 validation lists based on the first selected items

ponyman

Hi Guys, Can you help! I have a sheet which contains the following headers: Area, Type, Resource and data below:
area_classresourceresource_type
PackagingCanning Line 1process
PackagingCanning Line 2process
PackagingGlass Line 1process
PackagingGlass Line 2process
Intake BayLiquid Conc Intakeprocess
Intake BayCT1tanks
Intake BayCT2tanks
Intake BayCT3tanks
FiltrationFilter1Process
FiltrationFilter2Process

In this sheet i have used the formula: =UNIQUE(IF(ISBLANK(Source_Class[area_class]),"",Source_Class[area_class])) in cell: I4 to populate a dynamic list of all areas. The resource_types: =UNIQUE(FILTER(Source_Class[resource_type],Source_Class[area_class]=Dashboard!H5)), and the Resources: =UNIQUE(FILTER(Source_Class[resource],(Source_Class[area_class]=Dashboard!H5)*(Source_Class[resource_type]=Dashboard!H7))). Using a separate worksheet: "Dashboard", the USER selects from the cell H5 the dropdown there required area selection derived from a validation list "=Classes!$I$4#". I can populate the required list of types and resources. Still, the problem is the USER wants to have the cells in the Dashboard automatically changed to the first in the relevant validation lists and not leave incorrect data from previous selections when they make a selection to either Area or Type.
For example, existing selection
Area =Intake Bay (dashboard H5),
Type = Tanks (dashboard H7),
Resource = CT1 (dashboard H9).
When the USER selects "Packaging" in Dashboard "H5", the results of the Type, is incorrectly left with Tanks from the previous selection. As there are no Tanks, associated with the Packaging Area, they want this to default to a valid type item (ie Process), which could then drive a change to the dashboard cell H9 resource to a valid list item.

Do you always need to make a new selection in each dropdown, or is it possible to dynamically change either the type or resources made on the previous selectionS?

I could use a VB to clear the contents of each Dashboard cell, H5,H7 & H9, and force the USER to make a new selection each time, but it would be quicker for these cells to update to the first in their validation list dynamically.

Is this possible, and if so, how could it be done?

Many thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back