easiest way to link front-end/back-end workbooks?

merlin777

I have a large workbook into which 10 people are putting appointmnts on and off all day and they will need to leave the books open. They also use it view what appointments each other has added before adding their own.

Excel doesn't like shared multiple simultaneous users and I'm thinking I might have to use/learn access.

However, I wondered if this approach with excel is feasible.

Following the access approach of front end and back end databases, could I give each user a sheet to enter their data into and have one larger workbook compiling that data and turning it into reports they can view read-only? This larger workbook will also be used to compile and print timetables at the end of each week for the following week.

If so, what is the easiest way to bring that data from the individual data-entry sheets into the larger workbook? Is there a way to do this where the individual sheets don't need to be open? Is it as simple as referencing the smaller individual sheets' cells in the larger sheet?

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.

oldbrewer

Board Regular
your people can populate their own standalone spreadsheet and the master spreadsheet can pull in info, from that, if they look at the master before adding appointments they can avoid clashes....

Kyle123

Use access, it's what it's for, don't try and hammer a square peg into a round hole ;) These things never really work smoothly - you'll have a much easier time of it using a database

merlin777

...I just need to learn Access, then. That's my evening sorted out. :LOL:

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
christopherlewis1620

This Week's Hot Topics