Edit Links - Full Path Issue

Mike7474

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

My edit links started displaying the full file paths to all linked workbooks in the files list display (screenshot example attached). If I open the linked workbook, the full path goes away but if I close the file again, the full path comes back. This is causing issues if I'm trying to sort through all my linked workbooks but have to review full file paths. I also have periodic Excel crashing/performance issues and am wondering if this is causing some of my pain. Anybody have ideas? Could it be different versions of Excel causing this issue? I'm using 2013 and some coworkers have 2016.

Windows 10, Excel 2013

Thanks for the help!

Mike
Example.JPG

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Such a behaviour occurs whenever objects are copied to another workbook. The references will remain the same, i.e. to the original workbook. Whenever the "another" workbook opens, the referenced workbook will also open (in the background, not on your screen).

Upvote 0
Thanks for your quick response! For my "Test" I did not copy any objects, I just linked to the workbook (one cell = another cell in different workbook). I had a coworker open this file up on his machine and his edit links do not show the full path. Just "Test 1.xlsx".

Upvote 0
That can be explained, because when a workbook is copied to another machine, path names are not specifically defined.

Upvote 0
Thanks again! We tried replicating the issue on his machine and could not reproduce the issue (Links look correct). Our theory is that it might be a 2013 to 2016 issue. I'm going to get my machine up to 2016 and see if it resolves.

Upvote 0
OK, thanks for letting me know.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back