edit powerpoint text based on excel data

drewbny

Board Regular
each month i have a standard powerpoint template that i have to update based on excel data. can i automate that process so certain text pulls from excel?

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
You have sevel options from your question.

You could copy the data in Excel and copy, then switch to the PPT and find the slide(s) and paste special and link that way once you open the PPT it should prompt to update.

If your wanting to use VBA you would need to know the slide(s) number and layout with what type of place holder your wanting to update or add as necessary.

If you can provide some more info as suggested above you should get a solution that works for you.

Upvote 0
how can i get excel to control the numbers shown on this powerpoint slide. i think it would be easier to edit the numbers in excel than in powerpoint

Attachments

• 1000005289.png
    1000005289.png
    38 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0
I cannot see a VBA solution to pin point the numeric values within the amount of text you have in the placeholder. My first suggestion was to use copy and paste special and link which may work.

Unfortunately I cannot provide a VBA solution.

Upvote 0
I cannot see a VBA solution to pin point the numeric values within the amount of text you have in the placeholder. My first suggestion was to use copy and paste special and link which may work.

Unfortunately I cannot provide a VBA solution.
when you say paste special and link what do you mean?

Upvote 0
have both excel and the PowerPoint presentation open.
Select the first cell in excel you want to use and select to copy the cell
Switch to PowerPoint, locate the slide and tap inside the placeholde where you want to use the excel cell content and then select the paste dropdown and then paste special, follow the dialog box and select paste link (select Microsoft Exle Worksheet Object) and tap ok.
Save and close the PowerPoint
Switch back to excel and change the cell vale
Switch back to PowerPoint and open the presentation and you will be prompted to update the links tap update links and you should see the changes.

It's a solution but you would need to set it up manually

Upvote 0
have both excel and the PowerPoint presentation open.
Select the first cell in excel you want to use and select to copy the cell
Switch to PowerPoint, locate the slide and tap inside the placeholde where you want to use the excel cell content and then select the paste dropdown and then paste special, follow the dialog box and select paste link (select Microsoft Exle Worksheet Object) and tap ok.
Save and close the PowerPoint
Switch back to excel and change the cell vale
Switch back to PowerPoint and open the presentation and you will be prompted to update the links tap update links and you should see the changes.

It's a solution but you would need to set it up manually
thanks. ive tried that but the issue is the powerpoint text becomes an object so the spacing gets weird. i wanted the text to look like regular powerpoint text but be linked to excel.

Upvote 0
pleased to read you gave it a try to see if it would work. Let's see how we can build this up. Questions?

Is the presentation built from a template (as you've indicated) and if so what's its name (I can replicate).
What slide number location within the presentation and is the type of slide a title slide with bullet points.
Are you expecting to change any of the text entry around the excel values.
Are you saving the presentation as a new presentation rather than overwriting.
What sheet name is within the excel workbook and what cells are you wanting to use. Without assuming is it every value you are showing within the PowerPoint screen shot that needs to be changed? It may take a few attempts but hopefully I (we if others can make suggestions) can provide a solution.

Also please update your profile to show what version of Office you are using as with all versions some features have been removed or added which helps folk provide you with a solution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bes000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back