"Edit Table Properties" question

GP_dba

Hello,

I need to know how to change the "Connection Name" value in the Edit Table Properties. I have a table that need to pull data from a different server than from it was previously pulling. However I cannot change the Data Source it is currently using because it's being used by several tables (which should not be changed).

So:

Say I have table1, table2, and table3. They all are linked to DataSource1.

I need to change the data source for Table1 to something else, but table2 and table3 need to be left as-is.

I currently don't see a way to do this as Connection Name is greyed out, and that seems like the logical place to change it. Can I delete Table1 and recreate it and still keep the datapoints it references in the PivotTable in tact?

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
First off, I would make a copy of your original workbook to experiment on. Don't do this with your original copy if you have too many pivots/charts to recreate.

I believe your last option should work provided Table 1 from the new source is identical to Table 1 from the original source.

What I would try is renaming your current Table 1 to something like "Table 1 - old" then importing the new Table 1 from the new data source from scratch. Make sure this newly imported table gets the original table's name and has the exact same fields/names.

If you have measures tied to your original Table 1, then you can easily copy them from old to new since PowerPivot formulas are portable and much easier to move than regular excel formulas.

Then go refresh your pivots/field list and see what happens. If you don't experience any issues, then delete "Table 1 - old" and you should be good to go.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As originally advised create a test book that will not touch the original very important as indicated by MD610.

Try hidding Table1 and recreate Table1b, see if that is a quick fix.
This will allow you to keep the old table and access if you ever need it.

Good Luck!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back