Efficient Week over Week calculcations

marinof

Hi,

I have a lot of week over week measures in my model. At the moment the way those are implemented is as follows:

MeasureWoW := ([Measure]-[MeasurePrevWeek])/[MeasurePrevWeek]

MeasurePrevWeek := Calculate([Measure],Dateadd(calendar[Date],-7,Day))

Since these calculations are the heaviest in the model, I'm wondering whether there is a way to achieve the same in a more efficient way. Since I have many tables related to the calendar table, I'm afraid that changing the filter context of the calendar table as I do it is a very expensive operation as it propagates to all these tables even if I don't need them in the calculation of the measure at hand. So I'm thinking of creating a separate calendar table only related to the tables needed for the calculation of the measure and perform the same operation on that table. Does anyone know if that could help or is there a better way altogether?

Marino

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
Hey Marino!

It really depends and it's actually a case by case scenario but, what about using your calendar columns? for example, do you happen to have numeric columns that show the week# or the specific period time?

What you've typed before it's probably the easiest way to do so and one of the most optimal ways to do it so maybe the biggest impact's being caused by your slicers/filters?

Upvote 0
I would say the dateadd function is the best way to deliver a dynamic 'period over period' calculation and I've tried a lot of different options!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maxkapoor

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back