Elapsed time showing as ####

NY_excel

Hello,

I am using the following formula to compute elapsed time. When the elapsed time is within the same day (i.e.; start time is 4/3/2017 10:00 AM and end time is 4/3/2017 1:00 PM) it is producing a negative number which displays as #######. This is strange since the formula works fine when the elapsed time spans different days. Any suggestions? Thank you!!

=F13161-E13161-((INT(F13161)-INT(E13161))-NETWORKDAYS(E13161+1,F13161))-(COUNTIF(HolidayList,">="&E13161)-COUNTIF(HolidayList,">"&F13161))

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
This error indicates that a column is not wide enough to display all of its content, or that a negative date or time is used in a cell.

Select the column by clicking the column header.

On the Home tab, in the Cells group, click Format.
Under Cell Size, click AutoFit Column Width.

If a formula that you use to calculate dates or times is correct but results in a negative value, do the following to display that value in a format that is not a date or time format:
On the Home tab, in the Number group, click the Dialog Box Launcher next to Number.
In the category box, click a number format that is not a date or time format.

Upvote 0
You don't need to go to the home tab. Select the column then double click the line between the column and the next next column where the column letters are.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses. It is not an issue with the column width - no matter how wide I make the column it still displays the ###. When I covert the cell to General instead of the Custom Date I am using it does show it as a negative value. The problem is, for this spreadsheet I need it to display as [h]:mm which is how I have it formatted. Is there any way to keep it in this format and have Excel display the elapsed time correctly?

Upvote 0
Other than using the text function go to your options and change it to the 1904 date system.

Upvote 0
So the start time I am using is 3/20/17 9:25 AM and the end time is 3/2017 12:12 PM. Using the 1904 system makes the time appear as -21:13. Using the Text function makes the time appear as -1.884027778. I want the time to appear as 2:47.

Upvote 0
I question the logic of your formula. It looks to me like you are doing a lot of unnecessary subtraction.
Can you explain the logic/thought behind each part of your equation?
What is it supposed to be returning? Is it just the difference between two dates, when factoring out holidays and weekends?

Upvote 0
Yes - difference in hours between the two dates / times factoring out weekends and holidays. I have the holidays listed on a separate list. I got the formula from another forum so if you have another way I could write the formula that would work better I would definitely be interested! Thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Macro_learner

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back