Enter in Cell the Column Letter that is Filtered

Michael Fowler

Office Version
  1. 2021
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Is there a way that you can automate into a cell (either by formula or macro) the Column Letter that is filtered ?

Example : Column D is filtered, so as a result I want "D" or the Column Heading Name automatically entered into a cell.

I think I've got it right. My formula is ... =IF(ISTEXT(DetectFilter()),"Not Filtered",INDEX(B7:BF5007,1,DetectFilter()))

Looking at your screenshot, do you also have a formula in cell B2 ?
no, my formula in B1, i had 2 filtered columns A and D, when formula detect it, if will create an array and display it like in my screenshot, you will see border of range B1:B2 is blue, that mean formula in B1 and B1:B2 display as array result

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Okay. I have verified what you mentioned : that my formula is out of the filter range (B7:BF5007) as I have the formula in Row 5. It works when I have one filter selected, but then when I choose a second filter, the formula result changes to the last selected filter. Any thoughts ?

Upvote 0
no, my formula in B1, i had 2 filtered columns A and D, when formula detect it, if will create an array and display it like in my screenshot, you will see border of range B1:B2 is blue, that mean formula in B1 and B1:B2 display as array result
Like i said, when your filter columns is more than 1, you need to place formula at an empty range that large enough to display the result, for example, if you have 5 columns filtered, you need to make sure to place formula at the cell that has more than 4 empty cell after it

Upvote 0
Like i said, when your filter columns is more than 1, you need to place formula at an empty range that large enough to display the result, for example, if you have 5 columns filtered, you need to make sure to place formula at the cell that has more than 4 empty cell after it
Right. I just made the change as you described, by putting the formula in a cell outside the range in column BW, there are no populated cells near it. But it's still doing the same thing, showing the last selected filter only.

Upvote 0
ok, maybe i should change the formula like this for easier:
VBA Code:
Function DetectFilter() As String 'get filtered columns index
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim i As Long, j As Long, k As Long
    If Not ActiveSheet.FilterMode Then
        DetectFilter = "not filtered"
        Exit Function
    End If
    Set rng = ActiveSheet.AutoFilter.Range
    For i = 1 To ActiveSheet.AutoFilter.Filters.Count
        If ActiveSheet.AutoFilter.Filters(i).On Then DetectFilter = DetectFilter & rng.Cells(1, i).Value & "; "
    Next i
End Function
this formula will display all filtered columns in one cell

Attachments

• 1714015664097.png
    1714015664097.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0
ok, maybe i should change the formula like this for easier:
VBA Code:
Function DetectFilter() As String 'get filtered columns index
    Dim rng As Range
    Dim i As Long, j As Long, k As Long
    If Not ActiveSheet.FilterMode Then
        DetectFilter = "not filtered"
        Exit Function
    End If
    Set rng = ActiveSheet.AutoFilter.Range
    For i = 1 To ActiveSheet.AutoFilter.Filters.Count
        If ActiveSheet.AutoFilter.Filters(i).On Then DetectFilter = DetectFilter & rng.Cells(1, i).Value & "; "
    Next i
End Function
this formula will display all filtered columns in one cell
Okay, thank you for that. I didn't think it worked as the formula result wasn't refreshing when I changed filters, so I added code so that the DetectFilter formula refreshed after I filtered columns, and then it worked. I appreciate your help.

Upvote 0
Okay, thank you for that. I didn't think it worked as the formula result wasn't refreshing when I changed filters, so I added code so that the DetectFilter formula refreshed after I filtered columns, and then it worked. I appreciate your help.
weird, it just worked for me when i change the filter column, but if it not work for you, there is a way that you can use selection change event of worksheet to do that:
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
    Dim cll As Range, rng As Range
    For Each cll In UsedRange
        If cll.Formula = "=DetectFilter()" Then
            If rng Is Nothing Then Set rng = cll Else Set rng = Union(rng, cll)
        End If
    Next cll
    If Not rng Is Nothing Then rng.Formula = "=DetectFilter()"
End Sub

Upvote 0
weird, it just worked for me when i change the filter column, but if it not work for you, there is a way that you can use selection change event of worksheet to do that:
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
    Dim cll As Range, rng As Range
    For Each cll In UsedRange
        If cll.Formula = "=DetectFilter()" Then
            If rng Is Nothing Then Set rng = cll Else Set rng = Union(rng, cll)
        End If
    Next cll
    If Not rng Is Nothing Then rng.Formula = "=DetectFilter()"
End Sub
Curious. Still not refreshing.

Upvote 0
Curious. Still not refreshing.
you need to insert it to worksheet module (red) that need to refresh, after filtered columns and select to another cell of that sheet, macro will refresh formula

Attachments

• 1714019346908.png
    1714019346908.png
    20 KB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
you need to insert it to worksheet module (red) that need to refresh, after filtered columns and select to another cell of that sheet, macro will refresh formula
Hello again. I've got your code above as a module in the sheet that needs refreshing. I've also got =DetectFilter() in a cell outside the range being filtered. But it's still not automatically refreshing when I select an auto-filter.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back