Entering data into a cell has duplicated it in random cells in the same column

IncandenzaH1997

Platform
  1. Windows
Hi, I'm working on a large spreadsheet for work (not built by me) and I've encountered an issue that I can't quite get my head around. One of the columns in the sheet is Occupation and another Address, some of which had previously been filled out and some of which were still blank. After entering "Marketing Director" into one of the cells in the Occupation column, I noticed later that randomly throughout the sheet, other cells in the Occupation column have also been set to "Marketing Director", filling in some blank ones and replacing ones that I had already filled in. There are no formulae in the sheet, and no obvious shared characterisitcs between the cells that have changed to "Marketing Director" after I entered it into the original cell. The caveat to this problem is that I've now realised that while filling in the cells, it has replaced the "D" in "Director" with the first letter of the corresponding address. For example, the if the address was "Dublin", it would be entered as "Marketing Director", however if the address is "Barcelona", it would be entered as "Marketing Birector" etc.

I've even used the Excel trace dependents feature to see if these random cells are somehow based another cell but there are no links between them. I'm not 100% sure if the cells were filled in immediately after I entered the data into the original Occupation cell, as I only realised that there was an issue the day after. I also can't figure out why it's taking the first letter of the address and using that to replace the first letter of "Marketing Director", especially since there are nearly 30 different variables, and Address and Occupation aren't close to each other in the sheet or linked in any way.

Any help would be appreciated, as I've been trying to figure this out all day! Thanks :)

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
Wild guess here... Have you opened the macro or VBA tab to see if there is some strange code behind the workbook or an individual Worksheet?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back