Equals Hyperlink

MrDB4Excel

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
The workbook I am referring to in this thread contains several sheets. One sheet for each month of the year and an additional sheet that is called DataSort. This DataSort sheet collects all data from the other 12 monthly sheets and arranges it in chronological order based on the date of the email message referenced. Each entry in each month sheet contains a hyperlink to a specific place in a word document.
So for example, cell B4 in sheet 20FdMay contains text 20Fd05-1 that includes the hyperlink to the word doc as seen here in this image.
Sheet20FdMayB4.png

Then in the DataSort sheet, cell C276 gets the value from cell B4 in sheet 20FdMay using this formula: =IF(OR(ISBLANK('20FdMay'!$A4)),"",VLOOKUP('20FdMay'!$A4,FdMayData,2,FALSE))
SheetDataSortC276.png

So what I have tried is adding the =HYPERLINK('20FdMay'!B4) to the formula =IF(OR(ISBLANK('20FdMay'!$A4)),"",VLOOKUP('20FdMay'!$A4,FdMayData,2,FALSE)) and it just refuses to work and in addition adds extra text to the cell. This is the full formula I tried: =HYPERLINK('20FdMay'!B4)&IF(OR(ISBLANK('20FdMay'!$A4)),"",VLOOKUP('20FdMay'!$A4,FdMayData,2,FALSE))
Here is the image that shows this result:
SheetDataSortC276-2.png

First I tried in an empty cell on the DataSort sheet this formula: =HYPERLINK('20FdMay'!B4), but it returns an error as seen here:
ErrorMessage.png

So the =HYPERLINK('20FdMay'!B4) formula does not get the hyperlink from cell B4 in the 20FdMay sheet which does work in that B4 cell, but not here in this cell C306 as seen in this third image.
What am I missing?
Thanks for any help offered.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
The hyperlink function creates a link based on the text in the cell, '20FdMay'!B4 it does not mimic the actual link.

Unless a new function capable of the task has been added to the latest releases of office 365, there is no way of getting the actual link without vba.

Upvote 0
The hyperlink function creates a link based on the text in the cell, '20FdMay'!B4 it does not mimic the actual link.

Unless a new function capable of the task has been added to the latest releases of office 365, there is no way of getting the actual link without vba.
How was I to know I was asking a wrong question?
Thanks for the reply.
I suppose I will be using Excel 2013 until hell freezes over, but because there is no hell then it is quite possible even though I am 71 years old that I may get a newer version before I enter my dirt nap.
In my previous post I did not indicate what version I had but the reply that came back had a formula that worked, kudos to my good luck!

Upvote 0
How was I to know I was asking a wrong question?
That is just a signature line that appears in every post I submit, it is not directly aimed at you or any individual member
You're asking the right question, the tag is aimed more at people who move the goalposts then say that the answer is wrong. Not every one knows what they need, especially people who are relatively new to excel use, but when somebody asks how to change the brakes on a canoe ?
the reply that came back had a formula that worked
I don't see that reply here so I'm guessing that you asked in another forum as well. There is nothing wrong with doing that, but most (if not all) forums ask that you provide links to any threads in other forums where you have asked the same question. More often than not it is a requirement in the forum rules.

Upvote 0
That is just a signature line that appears in every post I submit, it is not directly aimed at you or any individual member
I don't see that reply here so I'm guessing that you asked in another forum as well. There is nothing wrong with doing that, but most (if not all) forums ask that you provide links to any threads in other forums where you have asked the same question. More often than not it is a requirement in the forum rules.
I have not asked in another forum, this is the first. This post "Equals Hyperlink" is the first time ever, anywhere I have asked. So Mr. Excel is the only forum that I have used to ask this question. I have used other forums but other forums so far I think do not measure up to what I have received from previous posts. Thus Mr. Excel going forward shall, for the most part, be my only go-to source. Kudos to Mr. Excel

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Edwin_SVRZ

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back