equivalent of MS Access joins

illusionek

Board Regular
Hello

Few years ago I was using Access quite a bit. I used to bring various Excel files into MS Access join them using inner/outer joins and then create a query that was used to feed Excel file with all data. It worked smoothly and was easier/faster than VBA.

I made couple attempts in the past to do something similar in Data Model with PowerPivot but it never seems to be working, I keep coming across various issues and just give up. Is there any good tutorial, book, articles I could use that would cover this topic thoroughly?

I would need to bring values from multiple tables to create measures and also join tables using multiple fields. All of that was easy/possible in Access but I struggle to replicate it with PowerPivot. I was wondering if I perhaps should use PowerQuery on that but couldnt find info whether joins from PowerQuery would go into the Data Model for PowerPivot

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Hi

Some quick replies:
- PowerPivot data model in Excel only knows many-to-one relationships. From fact tables to dimension tables.
- Power Query knows: left outer, left anti, inner, full outer, right outer, right anti join types. When joining, you need to extend the joined data. And so you are creating flat tables.
- Power Query can sent data to the data model.

Google Matt Allington, Rob Collie, Marco Russo and Alberto Ferrari. For sure plenty of solid material to read and learn from. On YouTube look for Mr Excel, Mike "ExcelIsFun" Girvin, Excel On Fire (Oz du Soleil), PowerPivotPro, Goodly,... And an all bunch of others I'm forgetting about right now.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back