Help Creating Database of Resources Used for Specific Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisThompson

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I will preface this quesiton with A) I work in the K-12 education sector, and B) I have very limited knowledge of databases - BUT I do have a pretty strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel and some experience with Power Query. I know there is a lot of different resources regarding many of these products, but at some level I'm not sure which specific resources/training modules will serve me best for this particular issue. So I am basically requesting some insights on ways to potentially roll this project out, and secondly what trainings/resources will help me to learn how to do it.

Ultimate Goal:
We would like to create a database of various resources (i.e. Interventions) that schools in our state are using with students at varying levels of need (Tier 1; Tier 2; Tier 3), at various grade levels (K; 1st; 2nd;..12th), and by subject (Reading, Math). Ideally we would have schools provide us with this information on an annual basis so we can see who is using which intervention each year.

Typically, we receive questions along the lines of:
  • "Which schools are using Read 180 in Math at the elementary school level?" OR
  • "What are schools using for Reading at the elementary level for Tier 2 or Tier 3?"
Until now we have relied on what our staff have heard in conversations with schools, which is certainly not representative of all schools nor allows us to access the information across our staff ☹ In terms of the logistics of collecting this information, we would love to collect it annually, BUT it is NOT required of the schools to submit this information to us or the state. My initial thought is it would probably be ideal for each school to have its own profile so there is only one instance of information submitted each year (instead of multiple people providing conflicting information), BUT that is probably where my level of knowledge/expertise falls off haha. Alternatively, we could try to develop a form and manipulate that information to feed into a larger database using PowerQuery. The hard part is we want it to be easy to fill out for our schools, but also have the data be in a format where it can be combined and analyzed with ease 😊 My coworkers had some of our schools at a training recently fill out a table like this, which is easy to fill out, but not easy to use analyze at a larger scale. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

1681409857445.png

Essentially you shot me with a firehose of information, on something I have limited to no knowledge about. So I am just trying to conceptualize all of the information and how it could apply for the project I am working on. While, trying to be helpful by providing resources to look through, none of them directly apply to the particular scenario I am trying to create - which is why I need a little help conceptualizing the structure behind how it can be rolled out. Simply put, I'm asking for 10 minutes to figure out what would work best for my situation, and then I would hopefully find what I need in what you posted earlier. I easily could have Googled what you sent me earlier, which essentially defeats the purpose of a forum.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Yes, it was a lot at once rather than piece meal, but the expectation was that you would, as suggested, concentrate on normalization first then design your relationships. If you wanted feedback on that part, that is on you to seek it.
The first thing you MUST do is understand db normalization.
I could have dished the rest out crumb by crumb but chose to post all the links I have, thus saving you the effort. If, for example, you have no knowledge of multi value fields, how could you ever be expected to learn of their pitfalls? Instead you strike me as being dismissive of my attempt to help you as it doesn't fit your forum paradigm.

I have some 30-ish years of Access experience so trust me when I tell you that the notion of figuring out everything in 10 minutes of conversation is just wishful thinking because you have no idea what you don't know about all the facets of such a project. But that's just my opinion. I wish you luck, but I will be unwatching this thread now.

Upvote 0
If you have 30-ish years of Access experience, then you can afford 10 minutes to discuss a project with a total newbie. At this point it's less about rocket science and more about laziness in throwing 100 tutorials out there and expecting me to figure out how they should apply to my situation than actually providing a helping hand. But yes, go back to your throne of contextless tutorials. Forgive me for thinking a forum could be used for actual support on a problem, and not just an alternate form of Google.

Upvote 0
Please modify your tone. Forum rule 1 states, in part:

Members should post in a way that is respectful towards others, and consider carefully before making posts if any of their content might cause offence

Apart from being common courtesy, it doesn't make you look good, and will mean others are less inclined to assist you.

Upvote 0
I will do my best to tone it down in the future and I'm sorry to have offended the other commenter in any way. I will say that respect goes both ways. I asked for support, he provided some that did not quite fit what I needed. I asked for additional support to have a simple conversation about the project, to which he responded very very condescendingly. I would think of someone with that much experience in databases that a conversation would help leaps and bounds over selling on multiple tutorials that don't put the whole project together. In the time it took for him to respond to my post, he easily could have met with me to discuss my additional questions, but instead chose to be dismissive of my request for support. Like I said previously, tutorials are nice to an extent, but can easily be Googled elsewhere. But the true nature of a forum would be a place for discussion and seeking further understanding which is what I was/am trying to do.

Upvote 0
This is a Q&A site. There is no practical means here for anyone to "meet" anyone else.

It seems to me that you need a consultant rather than a forum like this.

Upvote 0
This is a Q&A site. There is no practical means here for anyone to "meet" anyone else.

It seems to me that you need a consultant rather than a forum like this.
Yes, it would be on their own accord to have a more formal conversation with me than to have an email thread that may be hard to capture all of the additional questions that come up for someone who is new like me. But regardless of context there is no difference between asking questions in a videoconference type format or typing in a box like this. For many people, it is way easier to talk specifics in real-time than it is through a text conversation.

Upvote 0
Yes, it would be on their own accord to have a more formal conversation with me than to have an email thread that may be hard to capture all of the additional questions that come up for someone who is new like me. But regardless of context there is no difference between asking questions in a videoconference type format or typing in a box like this. For many people, it is way easier to talk specifics in real-time than it is through a text conversation.
That is fine is someone were to offer that of their own choosing, but in no way should it be the expectation (nor should anyone feel bad or made to feel guilty for not offering to do that). That is not how this forum is intended to work. The second part of rule 4 here supports that: Message Board Rules

As was mentioned, this is a Q&A forum for specific, pointed questions. It isn't really designed to replace the work of consultants, or teach an entire complex topic.

Upvote 0
That is fine is someone were to offer that of their own choosing, but in no way should it be the expectation (nor should anyone feel bad or made to feel guilty for not offering to do that). That is not how this forum is intended to work. The second part of rule 4 here supports that: Message Board Rules

As was mentioned, this is a Q&A forum for specific, pointed questions. It isn't really designed to replace the work of consultants, or teach an entire complex topic.
It isn't teaching an entire complex topic. It's just a conversation that will probably entail more than just one specific, pointed question. So out of respect for people's time to go back and forth continuously over chat I suggested the option to meet with me in real-time where multiple questions could get addressed.

Upvote 0
It isn't teaching an entire complex topic. It's just a conversation that will probably entail more than just one specific, pointed question. So out of respect for people's time to go back and forth continuously over chat I suggested the option to meet with me in real-time where multiple questions could get addressed.
Simply put, the big issue is that with the tone of your posts, your "ask" seemed more like an "expectation", and you did not seem to like that they did not agree to do it.
And the "ask" itself can be construed as a direction violation of rule 4 anyway:
1683210477585.png

So the responder is well within his right to deny to "meet" and not be harassed or made to feel guilty about that decision.

This topic is closed for discussion now. If you have further questions, you can post them to the forum.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back