Error opening Excel file from Internet Explorer

dr_drews

Hi,

I have seen a few similar questions/answers but they seem to be from people who are experiencing the problem themselves and have fixed by writing a Macro and, I assume, saving it in their personal workbook.

I have an Excel file that needs to be viewed by many people around the company, so have put a link on the intranet. Unfortunately, if someone opens the file, closes it and tries to reopen it an error occurs:

...xls is already open. Reopening will cause any changes you made to be discarded. Do you want to reopen ...xls?

I figured that this must be a case of Internet Explorer not closing the Excel file properly. This must be the case as changing your personal windows settings (to open excel files with Excel) seems to fix the problem.

Unfortunately, this isn't good enough as it would mean changing the settings on everyones computer!

Does anyone know of a way to stop this error message from popping up?

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
If they're opening it in a browser, then I assume they aren't actually supposed to make changes. You could set Application.DisplayAlerts = False, which should suppress the error message - of course, that will suppress all error messages generated by that Excel file, and if the error is coming from IE it won't suppress it at all.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erald

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back