Exact match on a row in two columns.

Gavin Brown

Hi all, I am trying to find if the data is the same on any row in the sheet within two column.
example: I have a song list with the artist name in column b1 and the song title in c1. There could be duplicates of this somewhere else in the sheet and I wish to remove them.
with over 30,000 rows this would take a long time to do manually.
is there a formula or something built in that I can use?

thank you in advance for any assistanc.

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
there is also a duplicates function in later version of excel , which will remove duplicates
What version are you using

DATA> Remove duplicates

you could use a concatenate and then a count()
I have done this a few times to flag duplicates and then filter - BUT not actually get the software to remove , until have visually checked
Only because with music i have found same artist and title but the length was different and quality

anyway
I would start a helper column and put &
SO
B1&C1
and just copy down - if you put next to an existing column - small box in right corner of box - double click and it will copy down
then
assuming helper is in D
countif( $D$1:$D$30000, D1) >1
you will not get true false

Upvote 0
Select both columns and go to Data/Data Tools/Remove Duplicates.

Or select the columns you want to remove duplicates in the dialog that pops up

Upvote 0
Select both columns and go to Data/Data Tools/Remove Duplicates.

Or select the columns you want to remove duplicates in the dialog that pops up
Thanks but that does not work. I used column B & C.
As you can see from my screen shots I start with certain numbers as a test. after running remove duplicates B4 & C4, B8 & C8 should be removed. However it has removed B7 & C7, B8 & C8 as they both have 2 in B and 3 in C.
So as explained, I would need to remove any that only matched in B & C in the same row of the column.

Attachments

• remove duplicates result.jpg
    remove duplicates result.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 5
  • remove duplicates.jpg
    remove duplicates.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 6
Upvote 0
no screen shot
also - did you try my suggestion ?

Note: Images are difficult to see , and also requires that I input all the data myself, which means I may make an error, which is very time consuming, and from my point of view less likely to get a response, if a complicated spreadsheet. Plus we cannot see any of the formulas used.

Therefore -

A SMALL sample spreadsheet, around 10-20 rows, would help a lot here, with all sensitive data removed, and expected results mocked up and manually entered, with a few notes of explanation.

This will possibly enable a quicker and more accurate solution for you.

MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data and will allow us to copy/paste your sample data into our Excel spreadsheets, saving a lot of time.

You can also test to see if it works ok, in the "Test Here" forum.

OR if you cannot get XL2BB to work, or have restrictions on your PC

then put the sample spreadsheet onto a share

I only tend to goto OneDrive, Dropbox or google docs , as I'm never certain of other random share sites and possible virus.
Please make sure you have a representative data sample and also that the data has been desensitised, remember this site is open to anyone with internet access to see - so any sensitive / personal data should be removed

Make sure you set any share or google to share to everyone

Upvote 0
Before using "Remove duplicates" add filters to you data (you will have to add headers to your column first) Then try again. It should work as expected.
It also will work if you convert your data into a table first and then remove the duplicates.
Make sure that you select only columns B and C in the dialog window that pops up after you clic "Remove duplicates".
You'll see it works just as you need.

Upvote 0
Before using "Remove duplicates" add filters to you data (you will have to add headers to your column first) Then try again. It should work as expected.
It also will work if you convert your data into a table first and then remove the duplicates.
Make sure that you select only columns B and C in the dialog window that pops up after you clic "Remove duplicates".
You'll see it works just as you need.
Thank you. The header on the first row worked.

Upvote 0
. The header on the first row worked.
That's fine if you want the headers but you shouldn't need to do that if you don't want. Without the headers, when you invoke the Remove Duplicates dialog, make sure the 'My data has headers' box is unchecked

1701933688965.png

After I click 'OK', this is what I get

23 12 07.xlsm
ABC
Remove Dupes (5)

This fits with your requirement ..

after running remove duplicates B4 & C4, B8 & C8 should be removed.

BTW, please update your forum profile (click your user name at the top right of the forum, then ‘Account details’) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’.)

Upvote 0
After testing again...
You should NOT select only both columns as said before. By selecting one cell in any place in you dataset and clicking "Remove duplicates" an then only selecting the column you want (B and C), it should work as needed.

removeduplicates.png

Or you can select the whole data set before clicking "Remove duplicates".
The only thing that wont work is if you select both columns first. Sorry about that.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thnirmitha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back