Help finding a match between two Worksheets

Dan Wilson

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good day. I am running Excel out of Office365 (updated) on Windows 10 Home (updated). I have tried everything that I know, but cannot find the right formula. I have two worksheets with song titles in Column A. One worksheet contains 2400 entries of songs available on a DVD. The other worksheet contains 4500 entries of songs that I already have. I want to add a column to the first worksheet that will hold an "x" indicating that the song in that Row was found in the second worksheet. At this point, the answer is probably something very simple and I am trying to make it difficult. I will appreciate any help with this one.
Thank you,
Dan Wilson...

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Give this a try:

Excel Formula:
=IF(ISNA(MATCH($A2,Sheet2!$A$2:$A$4501,0)),"","X")

Replace "Sheet2" with your sheet name.

Upvote 0
Good day dreid1011 and thank you for your suggestion. After trying several times to make it work, I see that I did not provide correct details about the problem. What I called worksheets are actually separate workbooks in different directories on my computer. Please excuse my mistake.
The workbook that will be doing the searching and the storing the results of the searches is "C:\Users\Daniel\DVD Inventory\2400.xlsx". It contains 2402 entries.
The workbook being searched is "C:\Users\Daniel\ Documents\Music Database.xlsm". It contains 3365 entries.
Column A in both workbooks contains the song titles to be tested.
Thank you,
Dan Wilson...

Upvote 0
In that case, try this:

Excel Formula:
=IF(ISNA(MATCH($A2,'C:\Users\Daniel\Documents\[Music Database.xlsm]Sheet1'!$A$2:$A$4501,0)),"","X")

Replace "Sheet1" with the correct sheet name.

Upvote 0
Solution
Good day again dreid1011. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! After entering the formula three times and finally entering all the $ characters in the right place, it WORKED! Now I need to ensure that all the song titles are the same in both workbooks. That is my next venture and luckily there are not that many. I truly appreciate your help and your patience.
Dan Wilson...

Upvote 0
Good day again dreid1011. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! After entering the formula three times and finally entering all the $ characters in the right place, it WORKED! Now I need to ensure that all the song titles are the same in both workbooks. That is my next venture and luckily there are not that many. I truly appreciate your help and your patience.
Dan Wilson...
You're welcome, and happy to help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back