Finding a specific character

Dan Wilson

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Good day. I am running Excel out of Office365 (updated) on Windows 10 Home (updated). I have a worksheet that contains data from my music library. There are 4500 Rows of data with 16 Columns in ech row. Column A contains the song titles. I have tried several functions to locate titles that either start with or contain an Open Parenthesis. I have tried using Microsoft Search, but all of the Rows contain multiple uses of the Open Parenthesis in the File Properties. Is there a function code or a way to sort the worksheet so that all titles containing an Open Parenthesis will show first? I apapreciate any help with this.
Thank you,
Dan Wilson...

Excel Facts

Links? Where??
If Excel says you have links but you can't find them, go to Formulas, Name Manager. Look for old links to dead workbooks & delete.
Autofilter on "(" & "*" maybe

Code:
AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:="(" & "*"

Upvote 0
Or just on the sheet itself, apply the Autofilter, then in the search box type: *(*
Book1
A
1HDR1
2(abc) hello
3song #1
4song #2
5song #3
6song #4
7(((
8()
9hello ()
10song (abc) hello
11song #5
Sheet1

Book1
A
1HDR1
2(abc) hello
7(((
8()
9hello ()
10song (abc) hello
Sheet1

Upvote 0
Good day jolivanes and thank you for responding. I tried your suggestion, but could not get it to work. I was able to find what I was looking for by sing the Microsoft Find and Replace. I will continue to work with this.
Dan Wilson

Upvote 0
Or with VBA
VBA Code:
.AutoFilter 1, "*(*"
Good day kevin9999 and thank you for responding. I tried your suggestions, but could not make them work. I tried using the Excel Help,, but the options in the Help did not match the available functions in my Excel. I was able to use the Microsoft Find and Replace option and search through all the finds until I found the answers that matched the song titles. I will continue to try and make this work.
Dan Wilson...

Upvote 0
Good day kevin9999 and thank you for responding. I tried your suggestions, but could not make them work. I tried using the Excel Help,, but the options in the Help did not match the available functions in my Excel. I was able to use the Microsoft Find and Replace option and search through all the finds until I found the answers that matched the song titles. I will continue to try and make this work.
Dan Wilson...
Hi Dan, you seem to be saying that my suggestions didn't work out for you, in which case you shouldn't mark either one as a solution.

Upvote 0
Hi Dan, you seem to be saying that my suggestions didn't work out for you, in which case you shouldn't mark either one as a solution.
Sorry for the confusion. I was able to solve the problem outside of Excel. I marked the issue as resolved to avoid further responses. I will continue to work with your suggestions until I figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks,
Dan Wilson...

Upvote 0
Sorry for the confusion. I was able to solve the problem outside of Excel. I marked the issue as resolved to avoid further responses. I will continue to work with your suggestions until I figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks,
Dan Wilson...
That is how that is supposed to work. You are only supposed to mark a post if it contains the solution to the problem.
Once you mark a solution, it shows up under the original question so one can easily see the original question and solution in a single glance.
It does not do anything to prevent people from posting more to it.

If you solve it yourself, only mark your post as the solution if you actually post what your solution was.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back