Excel 2010 does not recognize files created in earlier versions...

stumpedagain

Our company has recently transitioned to Excel 2010. I have a worksheet that links to and pull data from multiple worksheets on a network drive. This worksheet needed to be transfered to 2010 and reformatted in order to work properly.

My concern is that all the files it links to are still in an older version of excel and i would like to transfer these to 2010. The problem is if i open the file and save it as a 2010 document, rather than overwriting the orignal and saving as the newer version it creats a second file with a different extension.

how do i know or re-direct the links in my master document to point to the file (with the same name) but a different file extension? Is this possible or will i need to save it with a new file name?

last, why, when opening an existing excel worksheet with 2010 do i need to go to 'all files' rather than just 'excel files' before the worksheet can be found?:confused:

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
  • To convert a file use the "Convert" feature, not just "save as" (this will overwrite the original - make sure you have backups). I've just added the Convert button to my quick access toolbar (QAT).
  • A new file extension creates a new file name, so you will have to update the links to point to the new file.
  • Not sure what you mean by the last point (all files vs. Excel files) - this isn't something I have any problem with such as you describe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you! all these years and i have never used the convert function. I will try it out -- as for the last point. I believe that is just between Business Objects export to excel and open with 2010.
again, thanks for your quick response:biggrin:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thnirmitha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back