Excel 2010 VBA Left & Ltrim functions???

brucemc

I posted this in the Windows 7 forums, but have not seen anything in 10 hours. Please forgive the double post, but I need to find out what the heck is happening-

I just opened an Office 2007 Excel project in 2010 which contains significant VBA. The compiler is puking at the Left function - Compile error - Can't find object or library

I have tried retyping the line and also tried using the Right function, just to see what happened - and that was not accepted either!

Earlier the compiler rejected the Ltrim function also.

ANY ideas?

REAL worried at what else I am now going to run into, now that I "upgraded"...

Great thanks for your thoughts, I have a feeling I am going to have many more questions due to the nature of the problems and upgrading...

And where the heck did my line and position numbers/indicator go in the 2010 VBE????

I am afraid your last sentence is unclear to me - are you asking that I simply post some examples where the code is halting?

Also, I just installed Calendar Control MSCAL.OCX as an addin, and though it is version 9 (I REALLY need to find version 11), it seems to have cleared up all that one group of problems! VERY preliminary, as I am being confused be a psycho cat that is being annoying, an 8 year old daughter that keeps asking me questions and a number of other things.

I will conduct further testing and advise for it might be of help for the next person that goes down this path (presuming I am successful), but if you would be so kind as to clarify the last sentence you wrote that what you wish of me, I will comply!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Do you actually mean the last 2 lines?

If you do I don't understand what part you don't understand.

Mind you I'm probably in a temporary state of confusion.:eek:

In the background a large guy in jeans and lumberjack shirt seems to be performing strange tasks within a perspex cube surrounded by a baying crowd.:)

Upvote 0
I am unclear to what is asked by:
What is the code that line is in actually doing?
Oh. Upon re-reading it I find the confusion was from how my mind was paring your question (embarrassment).
In all cases prior to installing MSCAL.OCX, the code was freezing and stating that the reference was not recognized, but when I stuck "VBA." in front of it, the code was compiled. In all cases it was some form of string/character handling for either display or to evaluate if certain characters were present for handing off to other subs.

But all-in-all, this is just too weird. By installing MSCAL.OCX it seems to have cleared up all the major transitional problems. I am quite frustrated now because in all this havoc, I can not recall how the heck I installed it just a few moments ago also!

What is more disgusting than all of that is finding out just how much I have forgotten. I now have to cram that much more for an interview later this week, and having been unemployed for way too long (OK, I now work pt as a clerk at a discount store), I MUST get back up to speed quick!

Upvote 0
I am unclear to what is asked by:
What is the code that line is in actually doing?
Oh. Upon re-reading it I find the confusion was from how my mind was paring your question (embarrassment).
In all cases prior to installing MSCAL.OCX, the code was freezing and stating that the reference was not recognized, but when I stuck "VBA." in front of it, the code was compiled. In all cases it was some form of string/character handling for either display or to evaluate if certain characters were present for handing off to other subs.

But all-in-all, this is just too weird. By installing MSCAL.OCX it seems to have cleared up all the major transitional problems. I am quite frustrated now because in all this havoc, I can not recall how the heck I installed it just a few moments ago also! edit: OK, Installed from Developer:Controls:Insert:ActiveX(more controls:Register Custom) from a BLANK sheet.

What is more disgusting than all of that is finding out just how much I have forgotten. I now have to cram that much more for an interview later this week, and having been unemployed for way too long (OK, I now work pt as a clerk at a discount store), I MUST get back up to speed quick!

Upvote 0
Not quite sure if it is clear yet what I meant.

That line of code, as far as I could see anyway, wasn't quite connected to the reference problem.

So I was asking in what 'context' it was being used to perhaps see if there was some other problem.

As for the weirdnesss, tell me about it, I did a search to see if I had the control and came up with about 4 or 5 different results.

They were either the same file in different locations or different versions.

When you select a reference you can see the path where VBA is looking for it at the bottom.

If you look at one of the responses in the link you posted there's a pretty good explanation of one of the main reasons why this sort of problem happens.

Anyway, sounds like you are sorted for the moment.:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back