Excel 2013/2016 crashing - typical fixes not working

advcde

I ran Excel 2010 for the longest time, and it was just fine. About 6 months ago, I purchased Office 365 (initially 2013, then I upgraded to 2016 not long after it was released). The crashing started pretty much right away with 365. It happened with Windows 8, and has continued after upgrading to Windows 10.

Symptom:
- It crashes for no apparent reason with the "Microsoft Excel has stopped working" message box. As far as I can tell, the only requirement is that Excel is open. Sometimes it crashes when it's already open, but I'm working in a completely different program (might just be messing around online, for example). Sometimes it won't happen for 4 or 5 hours, and then it will happen 5 times in 20 minutes.
- It will crash with files of any size. I've had it crash on brand new workbooks with only a couple of cells filled, and I've had it crash on 150MB files.
- It's happened with hundreds of different files, so it's not a file issue, but most of them are work-related, and I have no issues with Office 365 running on my work computer. No crashes there.

I have tried:
- Disabling all add-ins
- Changing the default printer
- Repairing/reinstalling office (multiple times)
- Deleting every macro I had saved in my personal workbook (wasn't crashing when I ran macros - just getting desperate)
- Everything from this Microsoft article except for using Selective Startup to test compatibility.
- I save most of my files directly to a Box folder. I haven't really tested whether saving them somewhere else would help, but I don't see how this could have anything to do with the crashing (am I wrong?)
- I've run the Microsoft OffCAT tool - no hits. Tells me nothing.

Additional info:
- Sometimes when I open Excel, the worksheets appear 1-3 inches above where they should be - if I click on them they don't work, because the "shift" is entirely visual. The objects still exist at the bottom of the window, but I'm seeing them higher. Unfortunately, it's happened every time I've opened excel today until the last 10 minutes, and now everything is opening normally. So, no image yet. I resolve this by maximizing the window then decreasing the size again.
- I don't know if this is Excel only or would include other Office programs. I mostly use Excel and PowerPoint, and haven't had any crashing in PowerPoint (but that's about 0.5% of my Office usage).

I've just lived with this for months, but in the past 2 weeks I've lost a lot of work to this, and I'm getting really frustrated.

Has anyone here had this issue and resolved it?

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Quick update because I just crashed again...

- Safe mode is no help. I crash just as often when in Safe mode.

- Here is an image of excel opening with the sheets appearing in the wrong place. Not sure if related.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back