Excel 2013 unusable for me; for mission-critical project, go back to 2010 or 2007? Help!

lingyai

Hi everyone, sorry, this is a bit long, but the point is in my headline, and main questions consist of the 2 options at the end of this. The rest is background.

I'm on a 64 bit Windows 7 PC. I'm doing something mission critical -- a model which I started a few years ago in Excel 2007 on Win 7. For my purposes then, it was flawless, so far as I could tell, and it would cover me for what I'm doing now. I didn’t and don't need / use any of the new features in 2010 or 2013.

I now need to amend the model, for a client who’s counting on me. There’s time-pressure too. I no longer have my PC with Excel 2007, so on another W7 PC I installed a copy of Excel 2010 which I'd bought but never used. I've since got a lot of new work done now in 2010. Basically 2010 has been fine with one exception which causes me a headache -- as has been noted on a number of forums, Excel 2010 doesn't copy conditional formats the way it should. (Seems stuck in absolute reference mode, even when you remove $ signs from references.)

So I bought Excel 2013 and after just a few hours realize I cannot continue with it. This is not debatable. To be very brief, it freezes, crashes, won’t save (my PC has plenty of CPU and RAM) and makes viewing 3-4 arranged sheets at once basically impossible as the now each has its own menu and formula bar, so I can barely see any rows. This behaviour can’t be turned off. So, bye.

So I have two options, and would like advice from Windows 7 people. Please bear in mind
a) again, this is mission-critical
and
b) that the substantial work that I don't want to have to redo has been done only in 2007 and then 2010. (The few hours of bug-discovery in 2013, I can write-off. )

Option 1) Remove 2013, install 2010 again. Live with the conditional formatting bug. But will my client and end-user (a 2013 user) be ok? Will anything cripple the underlying calculations? There's nothing fancier than a few lookup tables and basic logical functions; there is no complex VBA, or any pivot tables etc. It doesn’t use anything beyond what’s on 2007.

Option 2) Remove 2013 and buy/install 2007 and use that. Not happy about paying MS yet again under the circumstances, but whatever, as I said, I need Excel now, and 2007 has always worked fine for me in all respects. My only worries: a) will the large chunk of work I've done in 2010 open and work ok in 2007? I am quite sure I have not, in 2010, used any 2010-specific feature, function etc. b) As before: will my client and end-user (a 2013 user) be ok?

Much obliged for any advice…

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gina V

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back