Excel 2013 Windows 64 bit bugs

twinetwstr

I'm stumped.

I was prompted by many to switch to 64 bit Excel because I load and work with large files. My company has approved 2013, but not 2016, meaning I still can't use Power Pivot fully (2013 is still a bit buggy). and for the present that's OK. However I have a recurring issue when loading some files (yes, fairly large ones, but not excessively large. I'm talking only 3 Meg in one case--8.5 Meg in the file that has issues most often). In most cases, these are .XLSM files with simple macros attached, but they appear to be working normally and nothing strange shows up when I save the files. Other files up to and over 30 Meg I have no issues with.

What happens is this: The workbook starts to open, may get to a "Do you want to update links" prompt, sometimes not even that far. Then the workbook disappears. In fact, if I have other workbooks open at the time, they all disappear. There is no "Do you want to save" prompt, most of the time there are no Auto-save files available ...even if I saw Auto-save on the status line on some of the files that closed.

I have two PCs at my desk, and when this happens, it happens no matter which PC I am on, and if I switch to the other PC the workbook won't open on that one either. I am on a network, so I can bring up previous versions of files I work on, so I can re-load the top file on the Previous list, it opens fine, I re-enter whatever information or data I had entered before. Then I save the file over the bad one, and it works great until the next time.

There is no warning, I am not doing anything strange when I save the file, I try to clear the "dead wood" workbook screens I have finished using, so only what I need is on the screen. There are several partial data files I use where the data is imported and processed, but I don't need to save it, just Copy and Paste into the master report. I also have a couple of Reference Workbooks open that I need to use for VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH Sources. But I have tried closing everything out except Excel, and the "bad" workbook still won't load. I have even rebooted, and have "Repaired" Excel, Still the workbook just disappears when I try to open it. I even tried opening it is Read Only mode. No luck there either. So I am convinced that the issue is something that happens to the file when it is saved, rather than when I am opening it. Other people seem to have no problems opening the files though. Most everyone else is using Excel 2010 32 bit systems.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
when you get it open on its own, what happens when you compile the vba

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cyko

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back