File opening as Read Only

jaihawk8

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
We have our files all saved to OneDrive. I have 5 users that access the files there. 4 of them work just fine, but one of them, when he opens the Excel files, it always says "READ-ONLY. We opened this workbook read-only from the server". This is causing issues, as we have several files with VBA scripts that open files and don't account for the "Edit Workbook" message.

Any ideas on what is going on here? I've gone through everything in his Trust Center settings and verified that they are the same as the other users. I'm at a loss.

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
My guess is that it is not an Excel issue. To your user, it may be a read-only file, depending on the access level they have been granted to that OneDrive folder.

Upvote 0
My guess is that it is not an Excel issue. To your user, it may be a read-only file, depending on the access level they have been granted to that OneDrive folder.

I don't believe that is the case. I'm the top user, and here are the 2 users in question. One opens normal, the other opens read-only.

1712758851882.png

Upvote 0
How do you know that the file as seen from your problem user's machine is not marked as read only? Have you set Excel aside and checked the file attributes as seen from that PC?

Upvote 0
How do you know that the file as seen from your problem user's machine is not marked as read only? Have you set Excel aside and checked the file attributes as seen from that PC?

I have used Teams with all users to watch them try to run the script and have then had them go into individual files to see what they see, as well as right mouse click on the files and check the properties.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aides

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back