2. MacOS
  3. Mobile
  4. Web
Does anyone here (other than maybe Mr. Excel and staff) do Excel:
1. as a paid position within a company
2. as a self-employment
3. as an additional source of income or
4. a combination of the above?

I'm curious and want to pick your brains (not that I'm a zombie or anything of sort :)

I'm an HR, and 1) I need to see if you work for a company, because I am unable to find a job description to detail Excel as the primary job, 2) I am personally thinking of doing some small projects on the side, and am curious of some of the methods/mediums that you use to find employment (like Upwork, Craigslist, etc.)

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Welcome to the Board!

I've been a self-employed Excel/Access/SQL Server/Power BI developer for the past six years (and I do work with MrExcel). Prior to that I spent 15 years in a Fortune 500 company in a lot of different roles, but all involved Excel in some manner or another. I don't necessarily know if you can pigeonhole Excel use in a large organization to just one skill set as it's such an expansive program. My wife uses Excel at a university for Gantt charting projects in Marketing and using PowerMap to see where student applications are originating, but Finance uses it completely differently.

For a role definition I'd take a step back and take a look at what your Excel users will be doing in their role. Someone tasked with statistical analysis will have a different Excel skillset than someone in Finance. It's OK for some people to kind of stumble through Excel (like my wife), or the maintenance dept (even if they're frequent users), but definitely not for the Finance department.

I know people who find work on Craigslist, but in my experience it's a lot more work than it's worth. If you really want to work on your own, then word of mouth is huge so start with friends and business acquaintances. If you have a specialty that you enjoy, then definitely focus on that.

Upvote 0
Thank you, Smitty, for the historical and insight. That really helps (both position and side job).

Upvote 0
Hi. I've done a few odd jobs here and there on the side for an additional source of income. I also post my digital notes and sports templates on my Excel Help blog which occasionally earns extra income from advertising, affiliates, etc. and also helps to refer some of those odd jobs.

I've also outsourced a few large tasks I needed help with through Upwork. Sometimes it would be a great experience and you'd find the perfect person to help with the spreadsheet, and sometimes it would be more trouble than it was worth.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Thank you, Amnesiac, for your inputs. I have thought about that: doing work on Upwork, etc., and that it may be more trouble than it is worth. It does helps a lot. I like your blog--I'm gonna add it to my Excel toolbox :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJFabEngineering

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back