Excel chart does not plot entire data series

Hoozits

I have a chart with two vertical axis that charts up to four data series. There is one horizontal axis, but the ranges of each data series may be longer or shorter than the others.

Here is an example function for one of the series

Code:
=SERIES("GOOGL P/E ratio relative to an index (right axis)",'DATA-Index'!$A$154:$A$256,'DATA-Internet'!$BH$154:$BH$256,3)

Notice that this series is 256 - 154 + 1 = 103 data elements long for both the series itself and the points used for the horizontal axis (which happen to be dates). However, the chart that gets generated displays only 30 of the points. When I right-click on the series, and choose Select Data and click Edit for both the Series and the horizontal axis labels, all 103 points get highlighted. So what gives?

Is there a way, using vba, to select which x axis a series should use? For that matter, how do you change the x axis for a series to be either primary or secondary without the use of vba?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
OK, so that is a restriction in excel, then? So it's possible that I have plotted data on the secondary y axis (which now must use the secondary x axis, if I understand you correctly), but if my x values range doesn't fall in the range of the secondary x axis, then I have a problem. Correct?

Btw, I am really grateful for your help on this.

Upvote 0
For a Line chart the x axis scale is determined by setting for the first series. For an XY Scatter chart you can have different x axis ranges for each series and the axis will scale to fit both.

Upvote 0
So if I want to see all of the data in each series of different lengths and on different x axis, I need to limit myself to a xy scatter. Is that safe to say?

Upvote 0
Thank you for your help on this. Your explanation led me to write code to set the secondary axis equal in range to the primary one and hide the secondary axis. This seems to have done the trick. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mr_ordinaryboy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back