excel chart: plot high and low data only

raycom

Hi,

I have a 46000 rows of data. I want to make a chart, but only want to plot the highest and lowest data points in the data set. How do I get Excel to automatically find and plot only the highest and lowest data points?

Thanks,

dave

Make another column with (D) where D1 =
Code:
=IF(C1="yes",B1,#N/A)
Plot column A on the X-axis, plot column D on the Y-axis.

Excel won't plot #N/A errors and will skip the ones with 'no'.

Edit: Re-read. This is a solution áfter you found a way to find the 'highs' and the 'lows' of course.

It's finding the highs and lows that is time-consuming. I don't yet have a yes/no column in my 45000 lines of data!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Assuming your data is in A:B, starting in row 2, in C2 enter:

=OR(ISTEXT(B1),AND(B2>B1,B2>B3),AND(B2 < B1,B2 < B3))

and copy down. Now AutoFilter column C for TRUE and your chart should plot only the visible cells (check the setting under Tools|Options|Chart).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Assuming your data is in A:B, starting in row 2, in C2 enter:

=OR(ISTEXT(B1),AND(B2>B1,B2>B3),AND(B2 < B1,B2 < B3))

and copy down. Now AutoFilter column C for TRUE and your chart should plot only the visible cells (check the setting under Tools|Options|Chart).

Andrew,

That formula worked and filtered out all the false rows .....

But when I selected the filtered range for my chart I got this message:

"Microsoft Office Excel cannot create or use the data reference because it is too complex. Try one or more of the following:

* Use data that can be selected in one contiguous rectangle
* Use data from the same sheet"

All my data is from one sheet so I guess Excel doesn't like the amount of it I have. I didn't get the 32000 row limit error message though! I tried selecting less than 10000 rows and it didn't help.

Is there a way of automatically deleting the rows of data containing the "False" cells?

Thanks, Dave

Upvote 0
Try copying the visible cells to another sheet (in chunks if necessary) and plotting that.

Okay, I finally managed it. I had to break the data into smaller chunks to copy it to a new sheet due to the complexity message cropping up again, but i finally got there.

45000 lines of data is reduced to 18000 lines. That's makes it just about manageable I hope.

Thanks for all your help.

Dave

Upvote 0
Use an "advanced filter" to copy the records of interest to another range on the same worksheet. I don't know if there is some limitation on an advanced filter and 40,000+ records but if it works it will be a lot easier to implement.

Okay, I finally managed it. I had to break the data into smaller chunks to copy it to a new sheet due to the complexity message cropping up again, but i finally got there.

45000 lines of data is reduced to 18000 lines. That's makes it just about manageable I hope.

Thanks for all your help.

Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJS_53

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back