Excel Chart, Select Data range, easy method to change how long to show.

TreeSqueak

so I have an excel workbook we use in a lot of letters that I created some time ago. It has up to 8 different Legend Entries, and just the one Horizontal label.
If we want to extend the chart for someone who is younger so that it reaches their life expectancy, I have to go in to each one and modify the final number. (see pic A)

Is there any way to have that final number (32 in the example pic) refer to a number i can type into a cell? so that I can have them all refer to a single cell.
so i can extend or reduce all the series' by modifying that one cell. (see bottom of chart picture for what i where that would be)

this workbook is embedded in a word document so I cannot use VBA (or macros) because they tend to glitch out.
(I used to have buttons to turn each series on and off but the macros decided to stop working after a while as it wasnt worth fixing.)

Attachments

• Chart and Select Data.png
    Chart and Select Data.png
    115.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Pic A.png
    Pic A.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 8

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
so I have an excel workbook we use in a lot of letters that I created some time ago. It has up to 8 different Legend Entries, and just the one Horizontal label.
If we want to extend the chart for someone who is younger so that it reaches their life expectancy, I have to go in to each one and modify the final number. (see pic A)

Is there any way to have that final number (32 in the example pic) refer to a number i can type into a cell? so that I can have them all refer to a single cell.
so i can extend or reduce all the series' by modifying that one cell. (see bottom of chart picture for what i where that would be)

this workbook is embedded in a word document so I cannot use VBA (or macros) because they tend to glitch out.
(I used to have buttons to turn each series on and off but the macros decided to stop working after a while as it wasnt worth fixing.)

to achieve this you need to set up as below
1. create some helper columns to populate the filtered data for the chart
2. a cell to trigger the filter
3. create a named range for each column to fetch the dynamic data after the filters.
4. connect those named ranges to your chart series and axis as required.

I cannot go in detail its a lot of typing, instead you can check the sample file of what i mean. if you don't have the formula called FILTER, then i am not sure how to get a work around for this.
Download File Here

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ikke

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back