Excel date format problem

nahean

Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
I am using Microsoft excel 2007 in a windows 10 PC.
I have to use/write excel date in dd/mm/yyyy format. I have already changed the system date and excel cell format into this but still there are some problem,

1. I have to write month number first then the day to display the date in that format e.g. to display 07 February 2023 in this format (07/02/2023) i have to write 02 first and then 07.
2. The formula bar always shows month first.
3. I have to use a VBA to save the file as pdf where the date is taken as the part of pdf file name but now the pdf file is fail to create with the date format.

Note: previously i use the same excel file in a windows 7 PC and everything was fine there. After i switch to windows 10 the problem arises.

Can anyone help me to find a good solution?

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
I don't understand what you are saying is wrong: inputting both (in US based settings) "02/07/2023" and "07 February 2023" give a date value of 44964. What values are you getting in your worksheet?

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B8B8=DATEVALUE("02/07/2023")
C8:C9C8=FORMULATEXT((B8))
B9B9=DATEVALUE("07 February 2023")

Upvote 0
Your system language must be US English or your system date must be m/d/y. Excel works on ur regional settings.

Upvote 0
I don't understand what you are saying is wrong: inputting both (in US based settings) "02/07/2023" and "07 February 2023" give a date value of 44964. What values are you getting in your worksheet?

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B8B8=DATEVALUE("02/07/2023")
C8:C9C8=FORMULATEXT((B8))
B9B9=DATEVALUE("07 February 2023")
Yes, got your point and u r right.

My point is I have to write month number first and in formula bar month number shows first. After finishing it shows days first. Though my main purpose is served but it looks weird when i have to edit any date.
Btw in windows 7 this didn't happen.

Another thing about VBA of saving file in pdf i cant use any date cell as pdf title.

(Note: I am using excel 2007 in both windows 7 and 10 and the same excel file is used in both case).

Upvote 0
Yes, got your point and u r right.

My point is I have to write month number first and in formula bar month number shows first. After finishing it shows days first. Though my main purpose is served but it looks weird when i have to edit any date.
Btw in windows 7 this didn't happen.

Another thing about VBA of saving file in pdf i cant use any date cell as pdf title.

(Note: I am using excel 2007 in both windows 7 and 10 and the same excel file is used in both case).
Okay, I see what you mean. And especially when your cells are in an unfamiliar format but you see your most familiar format up top. It can be confusing when clicking in the formula bar to edit. Everybody should just do dates one way! I prefer yearmonthday, with spacing zeros. That makes sorting easier if for some reason that gets converted into a text string.

And I guess changing your regional setting doesn't make sense as you'll want your local setting on all of your other work.

Best wishes!

Upvote 0
Solution
Okay, I see what you mean. And especially when your cells are in an unfamiliar format but you see your most familiar format up top. It can be confusing when clicking in the formula bar to edit. Everybody should just do dates one way! I prefer yearmonthday, with spacing zeros. That makes sorting easier if for some reason that gets converted into a text string.

And I guess changing your regional setting doesn't make sense as you'll want your local setting on all of your other work.

Best wishes!
Yes, got it. Regional setting is the reason behind the problem. After changing it everything works. Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back