Excel drag copy and paste but change sheet name

tbones

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have an problem which I thought I could solve by using the answer from this Link thread . I have tried to recreate the same thing but to no avail.

Here is my problem.

I have an Excel doc that has say 46 sheets on it. All of the sheets are identical apart from the sheet name . The sheet names are sheet 1 to sheet 46.In each of the sheets I want to create a formula for cell A3 that I will be able to link a cell (G3) from another workbook that has the same worksheet names Sheet 1 to Sheet 46.
So in workbook 1 cell A3 in sheet names sheet 1 to Sheet 46 I want it to be the same as what is in work book 2 Cell G3 sheet names sheet 1 to sheet 46 in that workbook.

Once I have the formula I will then look to drag the formula on Workbook 1 in cell A3 to all cells A3:B17 that will represent the cells G3 to H17 in workbook 2.

I have looked to use the INDIRECT formula

So cell A3 in workbook 1 would have this formula

=INDIRECT(WORKBOOK2(cellWithName&”!G3”))
This does not seem to work.

What I am doing now is using this formula in Workbook1 cell A3
='[workbook 1.xlsx]sheet1 '!G3 This works but then I have to go on to each sheet on workbook 1 to then drag the formula manually across each and every sheet of the 46 sheets that are there.

I was hoping there would be a quick way of doing this by opening all sheets and then putting the indirect formula in.

Any help would be great.

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
I have an problem which I thought I could solve by using the answer from this Link thread . I have tried to recreate the same thing but to no avail.

Here is my problem.

I have an Excel doc that has say 46 sheets on it. All of the sheets are identical apart from the sheet name . The sheet names are sheet 1 to sheet 46.In each of the sheets I want to create a formula for cell A3 that I will be able to link a cell (G3) from another workbook that has the same worksheet names Sheet 1 to Sheet 46.
So in workbook 1 cell A3 in sheet names sheet 1 to Sheet 46 I want it to be the same as what is in work book 2 Cell G3 sheet names sheet 1 to sheet 46 in that workbook.

Once I have the formula I will then look to drag the formula on Workbook 1 in cell A3 to all cells A3:B17 that will represent the cells G3 to H17 in workbook 2.

I have looked to use the INDIRECT formula

So cell A3 in workbook 1 would have this formula

=INDIRECT(WORKBOOK2(cellWithName&”!G3”))
This does not seem to work.

What I am doing now is using this formula in Workbook1 cell A3
='[workbook 1.xlsx]sheet1 '!G3 This works but then I have to go on to each sheet on workbook 1 to then drag the formula manually across each and every sheet of the 46 sheets that are there.

I was hoping there would be a quick way of doing this by opening all sheets and then putting the indirect formula in.

Any help would be great.
The actual formula I am using now is
='[Football League Source Sheet 1.xlsx]Gameweek 1'!G3
So I type this in to cell A3 on the workbook 1 sheet 1.
The source is Football League Source Sheet 1.xlsx and the sheet name in Gameweek 1 and the cell would be G3
Once I type the formula in I then drag it over the cells I want it to drag over and this then populates as I would like it. To do this on all 46 sheets where I have 26 workbooks as well with the same amount of sheets would take a very long time to complete. I have been doing that but thought there could be a quicker way of doing this.

Upvote 0
I think I can put it in another way

I have 2 workbooks.
Each workbook contains 46 sheets and I call them week numbers 1 to 46 on both workbooks.
Each workbook is unique however the 46 sheets are identical in each of their respective workbooks.

So the first workbook I am trying to put a link formula into cell A3 say for week 1 .
The information I am putting into that cell would be the data from G3 in week 1 of the other workbook.
Once I put the formula into the first workbook in cell A3 I then will drag the formula from A3 to B17 which will then get the data from the 2nd workbook from cell G3 to H17.
I can do that part quite easy as I just link the two cells straight away no problem. I then want to do the same with all of the other sheets in the work books for week 2 to week 46. I can do that easy enough but it is very time consuming.

I then have an additional 25 workbooks in the same format as workbook 1 that I want to repeat the function as I have done with workbook 1. All the other workbooks would be linked to workbook 2.
As I say I can do it ok but it is very time consuming and was hopeful I could take the workbook1 and select all sheets so that then I only have to do the link and drag once with the other workbooks 2 to 46 all having their own week number on it.E.G cell A3 ='[workbook1.xlsx]week 1'!G3 and then repeated for each sheet so the next sheet would say ='[workbook1.xlsx]week 2'!G3 and so on.Is there a quick workaround with this at all?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Doanvanhieu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back