Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Good morning community!

I have copied and modified the next VBA formula from a YouTube video:

Range("G2").Formula = "F2*0.2"
Range("G2").AutoFill Range("G2:G16")

The formula, of course, works just fine, copying the formula to cell G16.
I modified it as follows:

Sheet3.Range("I3").Formula = "=SUM(Q3:W3)+G3-E3"
Range("I3").AutoFill Range("I3:I100000")

In my wishing imagination, I was hoping this formula would copy the formula from cell I3 down to cell I100000.
However, I get an error 1004 message: This operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized
I am looking at my sheet and I don't have any cells merged.
I'll include an image below.
I could perhaps use some minutes to drag the formula down myself, but it would be nice to know how to do this.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• Copy Formula.JPG
    Copy Formula.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 6

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
It would seem that you have merged cells but are just not seeing them. Formatting interior borders of merged cells can hide the merge, although I don't see why that would be done. Anyway AFAIK, you can check a range for merged cells in the immediate window like so
?IsNull(Sheets("MASTER").Range("E1:E10").mergecells)

If it returns True, you have merged cells somewhere. Maybe try that on your range and see what you get.
Or click on selector at top left of sheet and select all cells. Then check alignment tab on Format Cells Dialog (Ctrl+1). If the merged checkbox is dark you do have some merged cells somewhere. At this point you could click on it until it goes clear (may happen the first click) and un-merge if you don't want them.

Upvote 0
Re: "I am looking at my sheet and I don't have any cells merged"
Could this possibly mean that if there are merged cells it is OK to unmerge?
If so, what happens if you insert this
Code:
Columns(9).UnMerge
before this
Code:
Might be a good idea to try on a copy of your original.

Upvote 0
It would seem that you have merged cells but are just not seeing them. Formatting interior borders of merged cells can hide the merge, although I don't see why that would be done. Anyway AFAIK, you can check a range for merged cells in the immediate window like so
?IsNull(Sheets("MASTER").Range("E1:E10").mergecells)

If it returns True, you have merged cells somewhere. Maybe try that on your range and see what you get.
Or click on selector at top left of sheet and select all cells. Then check alignment tab on Format Cells Dialog (Ctrl+1). If the merged checkbox is dark you do have some merged cells somewhere. At this point you could click on it until it goes clear (may happen the first click) and un-merge if you don't want them.
Hi Micron,
The range pulls data from a different invoice or worksheet where cells are merged.
Perhaps that's the problem.
Meanwhile, I just dragged the formula down to row 50,000. It didn't take two minutes.
Thank you for taking the time to help.
Have a great day!

Upvote 0
Re: "I am looking at my sheet and I don't have any cells merged"
Could this possibly mean that if there are merged cells it is OK to unmerge?
If so, what happens if you insert this
Code:
Columns(9).UnMerge
before this
Code:
Might be a good idea to try on a copy of your original.
Hi Jolivanes,
The range pulls data from a different invoice or worksheet where cells are merged.
Meanwhile, I just dragged the formula down to row 50,000. It didn't take two minutes.
Thank you for taking the time to help.
Have a great day!

Upvote 0
Merge cells on the other sheet won't cause the issue, only merged cells in your AutoFill range will cause the issue.
I just dragged the formula down to row 50,000
You don't need to do this.
• Go to the Name Box (Blank box in the top left corner just above the A for the first column)
• Type or copy in I3:I50000 and hit Enter
• Ctrl+D to Fill down

The fact this works indicates your merged cells are below I50000 because doing it manually if there are merged cells gives the same error message as VBA.
Why not just Unmerge the cells in the whole column as suggested by @jolivanes.

Upvote 0
In looking at the original image, it looks like cells A1:C1 and Q1:R1 might be merged.

This is a good example of why merged cells are so bad! They cause all sorts of issues for things like this, sorting, and VBA, just to name a few.
Merged cells are so problematic that most programmers try to avoid them whenever possible.

If you are simply merged columns across single rows, you can use the "Center Across Selection" formatting option instead, which gives you the same visual effect as merged cells, but without all the issues.
See: Tom’s Tutorials For Excel: Using Center Across Selection Instead of Merging Cells – Tom Urtis

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sebas8956

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back