Need formula range to automatically expand when a new row is added to table

Mike423

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm currently using the below formula to sum individual payroll values from a large table into a smaller, summary table.

=IF(D2="YTD",SUMPRODUCT((G4:BQ13)*(G3:BQ3=A6)*(F4:F13=B2)),SUMPRODUCT((G4:BQ13)*(F4:F13=B2)*(G2:BQ2=D2)*(G3:BQ3=A6)))

My question is, how can I modify this formula, so that when I drag the bottom row of the table down (it is actually a table, not just a range) to add a new row, the ranges in the formula adjust along with it to include any data entered into the new row? Picture is attached.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Table Screenshot.png
    Table Screenshot.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 25

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Since you have an official table already, I recommend using structured references in the formula. The formula would then use the column names, and a formula entered in the top cell of the column will apply down...even as new rows are added.
Book1
ABCD
1Employee NameRegular HoursOvertime HoursTotal Hours
2Emp 140242
3Emp 232133
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D2:D5D2=SUM(Table1[@[Regular Hours]:[Overtime Hours]])

Upvote 0
Here is a small working example based on the screenshot you posted that illustrates how the structured reference approach could be used. Note that Excel will not allow multiple columns to have the same name in an actual table, so the default behavior has Excel appending a number to the end of the heading. That creates a problem in this case because you want to match column headings to "Regular Hours". I opted to create this match by using the leftmost 7 characters. Speaking of problems, the (G2:BQ2=D2)*(G3:BQ3=A6) in your original formula is likely to cause a problem because you appear to want to match both the week number and the column "Regular Hours", but if those two labels are not in the same column, this construction will not permit either column to be considered. So I've assumed that the week number and "Regular Hours" will always be in the same column, therefore, the formula needs to consider only one of them. If you want to extract other types of hours from the data table, a somewhat modified approach would be necessary to account for how far those columns are from the week number label.
Book1
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRST
2Employee:Emp 1Week:YTDWeek 44Week 45
3Employee NameRegular HoursOvertime HoursHolidaySickVacationFloating HolidayOtherRegular Hours2Overtime Hours2Holiday2Sick2Vacation2Floating Holiday2Other2
4Emp 1402392
5HoursPayEmp 2321331
6Regular Hours20300Emp 3414224
7Overtime Hours
8Holiday
9Sick
10Vacation16240
11Floating Holiday
12Other
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
F1F1=IF($D$2="YTD", SUM(FILTER(FILTER(Table1[#Data],LEFT(Table1[#Headers],7)=LEFT($A$6,7)),Table1[Employee Name]=$B$2)), FILTER(FILTER(Table1[#Data],OFFSET(Table1[#Headers],-1,)=$D$2),Table1[Employee Name]=$B$2))

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response! I should have mentioned that each week section has the week name in every cell above the section, so week 44 has week 44 above regular hours, overtime hours, etc, its just hidden in all but the first column. Do the weeks pay type column headers absolutely have to be appended with their own specific number? Seems most of the problems stem from the fact that I've made this a table already. I've tried a series of different formulas like the one you provided but have not yet been able to make it work. Any additional advice would be very much appreciated!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the clarification about the week number labels...in that case, your original formula does handle those two conditions correctly (matching "Regular Hours" and the appropriate week number). I don't understand how you can have an official "table" if you have duplicate column headings. If you click anywhere in the "table", does "Table Design" appear in the upper menu (where you'll find File, Home, Insert, Draw, etc. typically)? For now, I've converted the table range back to a normal range, so duplicate column headers are permitted. Then, because you do not have the benefit of the formula adapting to a changing table size, you can dynamically determine the size of the data array with formulas. That's somewhat more complicated, but it should offer the same flexibility in that the formula does not require further editing if the table expands to the right or down, or both. Give it a try to see if it suits your needs better.

I've left some formulas in X5:X6 so that you can see what they do (determine the row and column numbers of the last non-empty cell in column F and row 3). That approach is used to determine where the lower right corner of your data table is. So the formula requires you to specify the upper left corner of the data table (F4 where Employee 1 is named), and then confirm that your header 1 (on row 2) and header 2 (on row 3) have the correct starting cell (F2 and F3 in this example). The formulas should then create arrays of each of the two header rows and a two-dimensional array of your data table, all of which are used by the earlier formula to perform the data filtering and final sum.

Regarding your question about column names in a table...each column heading must be unique, so it is not necessary to append a number to similar headings. But they need to be different in some way. Since this approach uses a range rather than a table, duplicate headings are permitted.
MrExcel_20231030_B.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWX
1Reg Hrs40
2Employee:Emp 1Week:Week 45Week 44Week 44Week 44Week 44Week 44Week 44Week 44Week 45Week 45Week 45Week 45Week 45Week 45Week 45
3Employee NameRegular HoursOvertime HoursHolidaySickVacationFloating HolidayOtherRegular HoursOvertime HoursHolidaySickVacationFloating HolidayOther
4Emp 1402392Helper Lists
5HoursPayEmp 2321331YTDEmp 09
6Regular Hours20300Emp 3414224Week 44Emp 120
7Overtime HoursEmp 13212Week 45Emp 2
8HolidayEmp 3
9SickEmp 0114174
10Vacation16240
11Floating Holiday
12Other
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D1D1=LET( maxrow,LOOKUP(2,1/--(F:F<>""),ROW(F:F)), maxcol,LOOKUP(2,1/--(3:3<>""),COLUMN(3:3)), datarng,$F$4:INDEX($1:$1048576,maxrow,maxcol), header1,$F$2:INDEX($1:$1048576,2,maxcol), header2,$F$3:INDEX($1:$1048576,3,maxcol), IF($D$2="YTD", SUM(FILTER(FILTER(datarng,header2=$A$6),INDEX(datarng,,1)=$B$2)), SUM(FILTER(FILTER(datarng,(header2=$A$6)*(header1=$D$2)),INDEX(datarng,,1)=$B$2))))
V5:V7V5=LET(lst,TRANSPOSE(SORT(UNIQUE(OFFSET(Sheet3!$F$3:$T$3,-1,),TRUE))),wks,FILTER(lst,lst<>""),VSTACK("YTD",wks))
W5:W8W5=LET(elst,SORT(UNIQUE(Sheet3!$F$4:$F$12)),FILTER(elst,elst<>""))
X5X5=LOOKUP(2,1/--(F:F<>""),ROW(F:F))
X6X6=LOOKUP(2,1/--(3:3<>""),COLUMN(3:3))
Dynamic array formulas.
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
B2List=$W$5#
D2List=$V$5#

Upvote 0
Yes, "Table Design" does show up when I click on any cell within the large table area. I've attached a screenshot, which of course doesn't show a cell highlighted since I used the snipping tool to take the picture, buy you can see the table design option at the top of the screen. Is there a formula that would work with this table, that has duplicated column headers?
Thanks again.

Attachments

• Excel Screenshot.png
    Excel Screenshot.png
    138.1 KB · Views: 5
Upvote 0
Interesting. Click on the name "Employee 1" name in the table and then go to Table Design, and look in the Properties sub-menu where you have the option to "Resize Table". When you click on Resize Table, you'll see a new popup box with the current table range shown. What is that range reference? I'm curious about whether you might have a table without headers, in which case Excel will by default assign names of Column1, Column2, etc. And if you hide that row and then type your own column headings (that are not actually part of the official table), you could still produce a table that looks like what you've posted, including apparent duplicate column names. Could you tell me the row numbers appearing on the left side of the screen that correspond to the cells where "Week 44", "Employee Name", and "Employee 1" appear?

As for a potential solution, have you tried out my last post? I think that should work. Alternatively, depending on your answer to my table range reference questions, there may be another way forward.

Upvote 0
Here are the table dimensions: $F$2:$BQ$13
Week 44: Row 2
Employee Name: Row 3
Employee 1: Row 4

Upvote 0
Oh…so the table begins on row 2? What text appears in the column headings moving across row 2?

Upvote 0
"Week 44" G2 through M2, then "Week 45" N2 through T2 and so on. So the week number in each cell on row 2 above the week's section.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back