Excel Dynamic Index Match Issue

wizchiz

Hello! I am curious if anyone would have the solution to this or could work with me to come up with a solution. I am trying to produce a table and some values from a table of historical data. Here is a quick overview of what I have so far and then I will get into what it is that I would like some input on. And I wanted to stay away from using macros or VBA to make this process easy for the simplest user. And I wanted to make this a dynamic chart that can easily be generated.

So, I have a table of historical data that goes from 2007 to present that is updated monthly. It consists of 3 columns: Identifier, As Of Date, and Score. Here's an example of the historical data:
IdentifierAs Of DateScore
A1/1/20075
B1/1/20077
C1/1/20075
A2/1/20074
B2/1/20078

<tbody>
</tbody>

What I originally built out was a separate table of INDEX MATCH functions with the use of SMALL to pull the historical data for one specific identifier that was entered into a cell. For example, I would input A into a cell and a separate table would populate with:
As Of DateScore
1/1/20075
2/1/20074

<tbody>
</tbody>

I already built this and now, the next step that I would like to take is to be able to enter multiple tickers and get all of the historical data of those tickers output into one table, so that I could see the average scores of the identifiers over time. I am a little stuck on how to approach this for it to be efficient and dynamic.

It is possible to use the INDEX MATCH SMALL table multiple times, but that does not seem feasible if I want to leave the number of identifiers up to the user.

Thanks for your help and any input at all is welcome!

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Here's one way to do it:
Excel 2010
ABCDEFG
1IdentifierAs Of DateScoreIdentifier ListAs Of DateScore
2A1/1/20075A1/1/20075
3B1/1/20077B1/1/20077
4C1/1/200752/1/20074
5A2/1/200742/1/20078
6B2/1/20078

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet3

Array Formulas
CellFormula
F2{=IFERROR(INDEX(B$1:B$10,SMALL(IF(ISERROR(MATCH($A$2:$A$10,$E$2:$E$5,0)),9E+99,ROW($A$2:$A$10)),ROW()-ROW(E$2)+1)),"")}

<tbody>
</tbody>
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try and enter the {} manually yourself

<tbody>
</tbody>

Enter the formula in F2, then copy the F2 cell and paste it down column F, and paste it into column G

In column E put the list of identifiers you want listed. Columns F and G will show the dates and scores. Upon looking at it, you may want another column with the identifier too. Let me know if you do.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M V Arun

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back