Excel Experts - Best approach to calculate monthly burn rate

ideasfactory

Hi,

I need some guidance from you excel guru's out there. I have attached am example file for you review.

In summary I need a formula (not VBA) in Column C to calculate team monthly burn rate from Column G, based on the combination of Delivery Team row from Column A and team size chosen in the same row in column B (which is a list lookup from Column O)

See the 'Formula Scenarios' for the specific requirements

Excel 2012
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO
1Delivery TeamTeam SizeMonthly Team Burn $ResourceHour RateMonthly Burn Rate $Proj Man & Analyst - Small TeamProj Man & Analyst -Medium TeamProj Man & Analyst -Large TeamDev Team - SmallDev Team - MediumDev Team - LargeLookup Team Size - Validation List
2Project Man & Analysts TeamSmallCalc ?Project Manager$105$15,225YYSmall
3Dev TeamMediumCalc ?Business Analyst - Senior$95$13,775YYYMedium
4Business Analyst$80$11,600YYLarge
5TotalSum of aboveChange Manager$125$18,125YY
6Developer - Senior$85$12,325YY
7Developer$90$13,050YY
8Solution Analyst$91$13,147YYY
11Formula Scenarios:If user selects 'Small' in cell B2 then cell C2 should lookup Column H where rows have 'Y' and SUM Monthly Burn Rate from Column G
12If user selects 'Medium' in cell B2 then cell C2 should lookup Column I where rows have 'Y' and SUM Monthly Burn Rate from Column G
13If user selects 'Large' in cell B2 then cell C2 should lookup Column J where rows have 'Y' and SUM Monthly Burn Rate from Column G
15If user selects 'Small' in cell B3 then cell C3 should lookup Column K where rows have 'Y' and SUM Monthly Burn Rate from Column G
16If user selects 'Medium' in cell B3 then cell C3 should lookup Column L where rows have 'Y' and SUM Monthly Burn Rate from Column G
17If user selects 'Large' in cell B3 then cell C3 should lookup Column M where rows have 'Y' and SUM Monthly Burn Rate from Column G

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet1

Link to Excel File -> Here

I am open to better ways to store the data from columns E to M but it would be good to keep this structure as it is easier to populate.

Hope someone can help.

The solution to this may be value to others.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
you can use a nested IF and then use SUMIF()
Assuming the layout is not going to change and that
A2 is always Project Man & Analysts Team
A3 is always Dev Team

=IF(B2="small",SUMIF(H:H,"y",G:G),IF(B2="medium",SUMIF(I:I,"y",G:G),IF(B2="large",SUMIF(J:J,"y",G:G),"error")))

But it really depends on how flexible you want this to be

then for Dev team
just change the reference
=IF(B3="small",SUMIF(K:K,"y",G:G),IF(B3="medium",SUMIF(L:L,"y",G:G),IF(B3="large",SUMIF(M:M,"y",G:G),"error")))

you may not need the 3rd IF , asyou have data validation on for B2/B3
=IF(B2="small",SUMIF(H:H,"y",G:G),IF(B2="medium",SUMIF(I:I,"y",G:G),SUMIF(J:J,"y",G:G)))
and assume because small and medium is not selected it must be large

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello

will this formual work for you??

=IF(B2="Small",SUMIF(H:H,"Y",G:G),IF(B2="Medium",SUMIF(I:I,"Y",G:G),IF(B2="Large",SUMIF(J:J,"Y",G:G),"")))

regards

dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Wayne

looks like you posted seconds before me LOL

dave

Upvote 0
:) happens to me a lot also , but often see different approaches like that

Upvote 0
:LOL:sometimes frustrating, but all good if OP gets what they want.

Dave

Upvote 0
Gents,

Thanks for your posts........Yes these will work but Wayne has got me thinking can this be a little more flexible not static?
I have updated below by adding a row specifying the team size in H2:M2

Is it possible for the formula in column C to:

1. Lookup the Delivery Team name set in Column A and match it against cell value in range from Column H1 to M1 then
2. Match the Team Size selection in Column B against range from Column H2 to M2 then for all values in that column range
3. Sum the monthly burn rate $ from Column G where "Y" is present

Cheers both.

Excel 2012
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNO
1Delivery TeamTeam SizeMonthly Team Burn $ResourceHour RateMonthly Burn Rate $Proj Man & Analyst Proj Man & AnalystProj Man & AnalystDev TeamDev TeamDev TeamLookup Team Size - Validation List
2SmallMediumLargeSmallMediumLarge
3Project Man & AnalystSmall$0Project Manager$105$15,225YYSmall
4Dev TeamMedium$0Business Analyst - Senior$95$13,775YYYMedium
5Business Analyst$80$11,600YYLarge
6Total$0Change Manager$125$18,125YY
7Developer - Senior$90$13,050YY
8Developer$85$12,325YY
9Solution Analyst$80$11,600YYY
12Formula Scenarios:If user selects 'Small' in cell B2 then cell C2 should lookup Column H where rows have 'Y' and SUM Monthly Burn Rate from Column G
13If user selects 'Medium' in cell B2 then cell C2 should lookup Column I where rows have 'Y' and SUM Monthly Burn Rate from Column G
14If user selects 'Large' in cell B2 then cell C2 should lookup Column J where rows have 'Y' and SUM Monthly Burn Rate from Column G
16If user selects 'Small' in cell B3 then cell C3 should lookup Column K where rows have 'Y' and SUM Monthly Burn Rate from Column G
17If user selects 'Medium' in cell B3 then cell C3 should lookup Column L where rows have 'Y' and SUM Monthly Burn Rate from Column G
18If user selects 'Large' in cell B3 then cell C3 should lookup Column M where rows have 'Y' and SUM Monthly Burn Rate from Column G

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet1

Upvote 0
YOU MEAN SOMETHING LIKE THIS??

=IF(A2="Project Man & Analyst",IF(B2="Small",SUMIF(K:K,"Y",G:G),IF(B2="Medium",SUMIF(L:L,"Y",G:G),IF(B2="Large",SUMIF(M:M,"Y",G:G),""))),IF(B1="Small",SUMIF(H:H,"Y",G:G),IF(B1="Medium",SUMIF(I:I,"Y",G:G),IF(B1="Large",SUMIF(J:J,"Y",G:G),""))))

Dave

Upvote 0
Hi Dave,

Thanks but I might not have explained properly and this may not be possible in formula I do not know:

As per last embedded sheet for example cell C3 function to:

1. Lookup in range H1:M1 based on value in A3 then
2. Locate the column that contains value in B3, in this case "Small" in cell H2
3. Look down column H and for those that have "Y" sum the burn rate from Column G.

I think point 2 might be tricky but there may be a combination of nested formulas to do it what do you reckon?

Upvote 0
oops

sorry, maybe not what you wanted but the above would be wrong in any case, sorry

Code:
=IF(A2="Project Man & Analyst",IF(B2="Small",SUMIF(H:H,"Y",G:G),IF(B2="Medium",SUMIF(I:I,"Y",G:G),IF(B2="Large",SUMIF(J:J,"Y",G:G),""))),IF(A2="Dev Team",IF(B2="Small",SUMIF(K:K,"Y",G:G),IF(B2="Medium",SUMIF(L:L,"Y",G:G),IF(B2="Large",SUMIF(M:M,"Y",G:G),""))),""))

try this one

JUST SEEN YOU LAST POST, SO WILL HAVE A READ.

dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandan4057

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back